|As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
The CPE is seeking a Philanthropic Communications Specialist who will be responsible for developing and managing the organization's fundraising-related communications to support contributed revenue initiatives. The Specialist will create content for proposals, grant reports, and other donor-focused communications, as well as newsletter, appeals, social media, and website copy. Your ability to guide development messaging and tell a story in words and through images will enable you to communicate the impact that philanthropy can have on our mission and the benefits to donors.
Prior experience in nonprofit development, and specifically communicating through grants, reports, newsletters, email and social media, is required. If you have these skills, as well as a demonstrated interest and commitment to racial justice, we encourage you to apply. This position reports directly to the Senior Director of Development and will work closely with the Assistant Director of Development and is fully remote.
- Develop print, electronic and event-related messaging to support donor engagement and fundraising efforts, including case statements, annual fund materials, and web copy
- Support grant writing efforts by developing and collaborating on grant proposals and writing letters of intent that inspire donors to action by effectively and successfully synthesizing CPE's case for support, mission and program information
- Draft meaningful impact reports and stewardship pieces that build trust and motivate donors to higher giving levels, including quarterly newsletters, monthly Leadership Letters, acknowledgement letters, and an annual and mid-term report in collaboration with the Assistant Director of Development and input from key members of the department
- Write and curate content and story ideas about donors, law enforcement and community partners for publication in print, email, social media, and website
- Ensure all development materials communicate with consistency and are relevant to the CPE's strategic plan, key messages, and brand
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience writing fundraising-related communications, including but not limited to digital and print publications, donor appeals, grant proposals and reports, and stewardship pieces
- Exceptional writing and storytelling skills, with a demonstrated ability to produce a variety of complex, compelling written pieces for diverse and wide-ranging audiences
- Experience with project and communications planning and management; digital and social media content development and campaign management.
- Ability to take initiative, accurately establish priorities, complete complex assignments in a timely manner and adapt quickly to changing needs and conflicting challenges
- Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to offer creative solutions
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment required
- Comfort with managing up and communicating ideas and recommendations clearly and convincingly
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (e.g., Excel)
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Please submit the following materials to apply:
- Cover Letter
- Supplementary application materials that you believe to be relevant