Position Summary: The purpose of this job is to review major construction plans to ensure compliance with regulatory zoning codes, ordinances, and laws. This position performs professional work in residential and commercial site plan and permit review and conducts meetings with applicants and design professionals to navigate the City’s review and permitting process. The position verifies compliance with local ordinances and state statutes. As part of an integrated building and zoning review team, the position provides information counter support, and other duties as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
Duties and responsibilities include, but or not limited to: approving building plans and specifications that comply with city zoning codes and regulations; assisting a high volume of architects, engineers, developers, and customers in conformity to zoning code regulations; providing services at a public counter to answer questions and approve plans; answering inquiries regarding zoning code regulations, interpretation of the zoning ordinance and procedures; explaining departmental procedures to customers in order to facilitate permit issuance; directing customers to appropriate divisions for requested services; maintaining accurate records, files of plans, plan review status and work performed. Offers suggestions and direct or participates as a member of a work team. Contacts are an essential component of this position and are for the purpose of obtaining and furnishing information, providing interpretations, responding to complaints as assigned, and similar purposes. Work may involve considerable public contact and usually requires the incumbent to interact with the public, various City departments, and governmental agencies, as needed. Work requires an employee of this class to present oneself in a courteous, tactful, and effective manner.
• Performs complete reviews of plans and specifications for building related structural construction and alteration for compliance with building codes, zoning ordinances, and other related codes; recommends changes to meet code standards.
• Performs administrative duties including development of policies and procedures related to the Permitting Division.
• May participate in the processing and approval of plans and applications for permitting and enforcement of applicable codes and ordinances.
• Resolves problems arising from development, plan review, zoning, permitting inspection and other code related difficulties.
• Receives a variety of phone and office calls from contractors and the public seeking information on building, zoning, and other codes; provides answers or refers callers to proper authority.
• Performs administrative duties including development of policies and procedures.
• Reviews plans and specifications for building related structural construction and alteration for compliance with building codes, zoning ordinances, and other related codes; recommends changes to meet code standards.
• May participate occasionally in making site visits in order to investigate a complaint and/or recognize a resolution.
• May attend preliminary plan review meetings, as well as other permit application meetings.
• Research, compiles, sorts, retrieves, tabulates, and summarizes data from files and other sources in composing and preparing memoranda, correspondence, reports, cases for court action, and other material of related general and technical subjects.
• Confers with contractors, design professionals, owners, and municipal officials in an attempt to work out reasonable solutions for all parties concerned; receives and participates in the investigation of complaints; follows up on investigating with appropriate personnel and formulates recommendations and/or actions for resolving complaints.
• Cooperates with officials in permitting, plan review, inspections and other regulatory agencies to coordinate uniform interpretation of codes and ordinances.
• Studies new materials, methods and applications of building construction to keep abreast of developments; remains current on technical code changes.
• Prepares correspondence, narrative report, charts, and other material of related general and technical subjects.
Follows standardized procedures, zoning codes regulations and written instructions to accomplish assigned tasks.
Applies organizational polices and codes.
Provides guidance and training as required to lower level, interns, temporary employees, etc.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not all exhaustive lists.
• Thorough knowledge of municipal codes, ordinances and administrative regulations governing the construction, maintenance, and alteration of commercial and residential structures.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods and material involved in the construction industry.
• Thorough knowledge of the building codes, City Codes, regulations, and ordinances governing minimum requirements and building construction.
• Knowledge of the legal procedures related to enforcement of City Codes, ordinances, and other related codes.
• Ability to explain and interpret City Codes to contractors, homeowners, and design professionals, other regulatory agencies, and the public.
• Ability to detect poor workmanship, inferior materials, and fire hazards.
• Ability to exercise good judgment in making decisions in accordance with established rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
• Ability to read and interpret plans, specifications, and blueprints; and to keep records and prepare reports.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, contractors, design processionals, other regulatory agencies, and the public, as necessitated by the work.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing, enforcing regulations with firmness, tact, and impartiality.
• Ability to plan, assign, and direct the work of others.