Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as a Construction Maintenance Equipment Operator. We have one full-time regular, benefitted position available.
This position excavates, installs, maintains, and repairs zoo facilities and roadways while operating specific types of motorized construction and maintenance equipment and allied attachments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drive truck and trailer to and from job sites.
- Responsible for the safe operation of heavy construction and maintenance equipment.
- Operate backhoes, mobile sweepers, graders, bulldozers, mowers, rollers and rotovaters.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and clean equipment, including checking oil, water, and tire pressure; washing windows; and washing off dirt and grease.
- Inspect job site for underground utilities, overhead obstructions and hazardous conditions.
- Dig holes, trenches and tunnels and stockpiles spoil or loads spoil in dump truck for hauling.
- Ensure that safety measures are observed when loading and unloading material.
- May be required to act in a lead capacity at job sites where all other activities are secondary to equipment operation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of the operation of construction and maintenance equipment required.
- Ability to operate motorized construction and maintenance equipment and their accessories, and heavy trucks for transporting construction and maintenance equipment.
- Ability to apply appropriate guidelines, such as the operating procedures, to the specific equipment used.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institution’s Core Values.
One year experience in heavy equipment operation and maintenance or completion of a recognized course in construction and maintenance equipment operation, including practical operating experience and instruction in mechanical principles and general construction and maintenance procedures. Combination of education, training and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability).
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Commercial Class A driver's license with the Air Brake restriction removed.
Must have basic computer skills to access email and submit online timesheet.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Standing, bending, stooping, and lifting up to 75 pounds sometimes required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Works outdoors in all weather. Exposed to dust, dirt, high noise levels, diesel and gas fumes, and engine exhaust. Moderate physical exertion required to operate equipment.
Want to know more? Read the full job description here!
Pay: $30.72 per hour, plus benefits
- As of November 24, 2021, employees working on or accessing zoo grounds are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by your first day of employment.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license with a safe driving history. A criminal background check, driving record review, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment tuberculosis test will be required of the selected applicant.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are required.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.