|As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) is looking for a part-time (20+ hours per week) R&D Associate with a passion for research on public safety. The role is within the Product Discovery Research and Development (R&D) team, which is dedicated to accelerating CPE's capacity to eliminate biases and disparities in law enforcement outcomes by driving constant innovation and improvement of CPE's data-driven interventions.
The R&D Associate will be responsible for co-designing analyses alongside the R&D team's quantitative research methodologists. They will be expected to review and synthesize relevant scholarly literature, formulate hypotheses and design analysis plans that are rooted in literature, review analyses performed by other team members and compile the findings of the R&D team's research into documents detailing the relevant literature, theoretical framework, methodology, and limitations. Occasionally, and as capacity allows, the R&D Associate will submit papers for publication in peer-reviewed journals.
This position reports to the Director of R&D.
While this position is not a fellowship, current PhD students are especially encouraged to apply and flexible scheduling is possible.
- Conduct reviews of relevant literature and compile summaries/key findings to support new analytic initiatives
- Co-design new analyses to drive constant improvements to our analytic products and write detailed analysis plans grounded in literature
- Conduct reviews of analyses conducted by other researchers at CPE and provide constructive feedback and recommendations
- Condense the findings of R&D analyses into documents outlining the relevant literature, theoretical frameworks, methodologies, and limitations of CPE's studies
- Ensure that all writing produced by the team is properly cited and includes a full bibliography
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline (Sociology, Psychology, Demography, Political Science, Economics, etc)
- Experience with at least one quantitative analysis software package (R, Python, Stata, SAS, SPSS, etc)
- Familiarity with advanced statistical techniques and an ability to clearly and concisely interpret the results of statistical analyses
- Familiarity with qualitative analysis techniques and tools
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and aptitude for working with multiple project teams and coordinating concurrent projects
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse staff of scholars, analysts, engineers, and law enforcement professionals across the organization
- Ability to function effectively both independently and as part of a geographically distributed team
- PhD (or currently enrolled in a PhD program)
- Record of peer-reviewed publications in a relevant discipline
- Experience with and knowledge of one or more of the following: public safety redesign, social and racial justice issues, public health, public policy, statistics, demography, criminology, sociology, or implementation science
- Experience and interest working with diverse analytic methodologies (e.g., longitudinal data analysis, multilevel modeling, difference-in-difference, grounded theory)
- Experience working with policing data and/or professional experience in a criminal justice-related discipline
- Ability to create survey instruments and data collection protocols
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Two writing samples (peer-reviewed journal article, technical reports, white paper, data visualization product, etc.)