|As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
Location: Norfolk, VA (Hampton Roads) Only
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE)’s COMPSTAT for Justice (C4J) program is looking for a candidate with an unwavering passion for social justice issues to support relationship building and rollout activities at its Norfolk implementation site (on a part-time and temporary basis). This position will report to the Community Engagement Specialist and works in a collaborative effort with the C4J team. This candidate will also work closely with the Implementation Specialist to coordinate efforts with Norfolk Police Department.
C4J is a holistic program developed by CPE to co-create a reimagined public safety system that also enhances public health outcomes.
By reviewing a variety of police data, community data, and policing practices, CPE helps identify what drives disparities that cause harm to communities. CPE determines whether those disparities are rooted within police departments, within communities, or other institutions, or whether challenges lie in the relationship between police and community.
CPE helps law enforcement agencies and the communities they serve work together to improve equity in policing, enabling them to earn their communities’ trust and confidence.
- Help facilitate introductions between the C4J team, particularly Community Engagement Specialist, and stakeholders on the ground in Norfolk, VA
- Represent CPE/C4J at community events
- Prepare and attend listening sessions with community members
- Assist with recruitment and implementation of focus groups and interviews with community members
- Work with other team members to conduct background research on public safety and racial equity efforts and sentiments in Norfolk, VA, and prepare an internal report
- Monitor news, events, and movements in-person, in the news, and on social media, and share updates with the C4J team
- Assist with information dissemination at NPD
- Update outreach calendars weekly (LEA, CE and Gov Affairs) for internal coordination
- Periodically conduct check-ins with NPD on-site team
- Bachelor’s degree or in the process of obtaining a degree
- Must already be embedded in the Hampton Roads community
- Must live or have lived in the Hampton Roads area for at least six months to a year
- Ability to communicate and build relationships with people of diverse, cultural, social, and educational backgrounds
- Ability to connect and build relationships with community members
- Understanding of the importance of approaching this work with community members with care and compassion
- Have experience and/or interest in social justice and DEI efforts
- Have a strong understanding and can identify the underlying issues and other social determinants that directly impact the community and its members
- Ability to be sensitive to one’s experiences and have uncomfortable conversations with community stakeholders and members of the community around policing
- Ability to be flexible as community work requires meeting people where they are which may require attending events and speaking to community members after hours
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and Google Suites
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for internal and external interactions
- Self-directed and able to work independently
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Prior public speaking experience or experience speaking/presenting in front of a group
- Energetic and eager to learn and tackle new projects and ideas
Application Submission Guidelines