Click here to apply!
OEC Fiber, located in Norman, OK, is taking high-speed fiber services where no one else will. Powered by Oklahoma Electric Cooperative, OEC Fiber brings the power of high-speed fiber services right to the front door of homes and business. We are proud to provide affordable and reliable high-speed fiber services coupled with some of the most exceptional customer service in the area.
OEC is currently accepting applications for Install & Repair Technician in our Fiber & Broadband department. This is a full-time position located at OEC headquarters in Norman, OK.
The Install & Repair Technician is responsible for the construction, maintenance, and installation of service for the fiber to the premises (FTTP) subsidiary. This includes construction of aerial and underground fiber lines, installation of fiber drops, home installations, and routine and emergency maintenance and troubleshooting. They interact closely with subscribers and property owners to coordinate the routing and installation of fiber devices and outlets. The normal work schedule includes emergency and occasional scheduled days/times outside of regular business hours-extended shifts, nights, weekends, holidays.
- Provides safe, reliable fiber and broadband service through the maintenance and repair of outside plant.
- Repairs broken lashing, reattaches stand to poles, splices cut or damaged lines.
- Troubleshoots outages and other issues with fiber system.
- Performs and analyzes OTDR measurements and light meter readings.
- Tests repaired, new, or updated equipment and fiber to ensure proper functions.
- Continually inspects structures and equipment for active or potential hazards.
- Responds to all work requests in a timely manner.
- Installs and retires aerial and underground fiber lines and equipment.
- Reads, interprets, and builds work orders according to specifications.
- Lash and De-Lash existing and new fiber.
- Installs underground fiber.
- Splices fiber optic cables as needed, using fusion and mechanical methods.
- Inspects work site prior to digging to verify underground facilities are located.
- Connects and disconnects aerial and underground fiber optic drops.
- Buries and/or pulls up line, using various hand and power tools and other equipment.
- Installs equipment on outside of building.
- Routes and installs fiber and/or cables from the outside to the inside of a home or business.
- Installs, terminates, and tests cat-5/6 and fiber.
- Runs and pulls lines through attics, crawl spaces, and walls.
- Coordinates with member on location of outlets and other equipment.
- Performs minor drywall patches/repairs as needed.
- Performs tasks at various heights and in confined spaces.
- Climbs poles and works from bucket and/or ladders as needed.
- Connects and configures member owned devices to the fiber network, such as routers, modems, computers, phones, remote controls, and televisions.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of various technologies, devices, and networking commonly used in homes and businesses.
- Educates users on features and services available.
- Practices and promotes respect towards members and their property.
- Receives property owner’s permission prior to performing work, when applicable.
- Interacts with the public in a helpful, professional manner at all times.
- Exercises great care to avoid damage to property and reports any damage to appropriate personnel as soon as possible.
- Removes discarded Cooperative equipment and other materials from the job site.
- Maintains appropriate operation and care of all vehicles, tools, and equipment used in the performance of tasks.
- Ensures necessary tools, equipment, and materials are readily available on assigned truck.
- Reports any damaged and/or faulty vehicles, tools, and equipment to appropriate personnel as soon as possible.
- Operates two-way radio according the Cooperative Policy Manual and department procedures.
- Reports vehicle mileage as requested.
Ideal applicants meet the following qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 1 year experience in similar role or telecommunications/fiber construction, maintenance, and splicing
- Customer service experience
- Valid driver's license
- Experience working from bucket truck and climbing poles
- Ability to read maps, schematic drawings, and other technical documents
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and computers and tablets
- Excellent communication skills; ability to manage time and work with little supervision; open to change/variety; detail-oriented and thorough in completing tasks
Please whitelist email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure receipt of emails related to your application.
Please note that applicants applying through a job board (such as Indeed) may need to complete their application at okcoop.org/join-our-team/. Please check your email for further instructions.