Basic Job Function: To ensure the preparation of all dessert, pastry, confection and bakery items according to hotel standards for quality, freshness and cleanliness. To plan, organize and supervise all aspects of food preparation in the pastry shop.
Responsible for the servicing and management of Japanese accounts within an assigned area. Assist the Director of Sales in focusing and motivating the corporate/government sales team to achieve the room night goals for the “Japanese” market segment as laid out in the Marketing Plan
· Prepare pastry shop items in accordance with hotel standards. Responsible for planning and developing new dessert or bakery menu items
- Prepares and approves requisitions and verifies delivery of all pastry shop food items. Reviews and revises existing menus as needed
· Hires, trains, supervises, evaluates and schedules all pastry shop staff. Initiates employee development as well as reviews and approves annual performance appraisals for all subordinate staff to ensure the highest level of professional competence and efficient continuity within those positions
· Enforces established guidelines, policies, and union contract of the hotel and performs disciplinary action as necessary.
· Monitors business forecast and ensures staffing requirements are met while maintaining payroll control and overall financial success of the pastry shop. Maintains records, files and forms on all payroll related information for union colleagues as well as update Timesaver to ensure accurate payroll processing.
· Communicates daily and attends any pertinent meetings with food & beverage outlets, food, food & beverage administration or other departments
· Analyzes and monitors budget reports to maintain proper food and labor costs, makes budgetary and long term development proposals
· Communicates with local produce distributors to ensure proper delivery and to take advantage of unusual or seasonal products
- Ensures the operational safety and cleanliness of all kitchen working areas and equipment
- Researches, develops and recommends new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of the department and services performed
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reports all suspicious persons or activities and hazardous or unsafe conditions to the Security Department.
- Provides instruction and/or guidance for guest and employee safety in fire or other emergency situations.
- Responds to guest questions. Provide guest assistance, direction and information as requested when working in public areas.
- Represents the hotel at various functions and trade shows.
Participates and networks through key organizations as recommended by the Director of Sales & Marketing.
- Performs a variety of other duties as assigned.
- Participates in any food related promotions and activities.
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma required.
- Completion of three (3) years program in culinary arts required
- Degree or diploma in Hospitality Management or Business Administration