Get back to nature by working at the beautiful Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum!
Applications are being accepted for a reserve status Guest Services Assistant who is available on weekdays. We are seeking customer service-oriented individuals who thrive in a team environment. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age with a high school diploma or equivalent. Six months to one year of cash-handling, computer experience, and customer service work is highly desirable. Familiarity with the Desert Museum is a plus.
Reserve Status positions are non-benefited and may work, on average, 16 hours or less per week. Perks include opportunities to learn about our local desert and connect with the wildlife, complimentary Desert Musuem membership, and discount admission passes.
Applicants please note: Be prepared to include at least two professional references while applying. This position was opened on August 26, 2021 and does not have a closing date. Application review will begin immediately. Please understand that if offered a position, you will, as a final condition of employment, be required to successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check.
Reports To: Guest Experience Supervisor
The Guest Services Assistant provides outstanding service and plays an integral role in contributing to the mission of the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. The position is flexible and accommodates ever-changing business needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Creates outstanding guest interactions with a guest friendly, professional demeanor.
- Processes sales transactions including admission, membership, donations, and other miscellaneous items.
- Follows Museum and department cash handling and reconciliation procedures.
- Uses upsell techniques to increase membership and paid experience sales and donations.
- Assists guests with stroller and mobility device rentals.
- Participates in service recovery.
- Assists guests with lost or found items and separated parties.
- Assists in coordinating group visits, including tour groups and school groups.
- Assists in compiling and mailing marketing materials, symbolic adoption packages, and membership materials.
- May assist other departments with clerical duties as assigned.
- Answers a variety of general queries including wayfinding, schedules, facilities, collections, etc.
- Acts as the primary Museum telephone operator and as central communications in emergency action plans.
- Access control including ticket and membership scanning, and event entry operations.
- Some duties, including cashiering for special events, access control, and other guest service functions, require working outdoors.
- Promotes a safe and sanitary work environment at all times. Practices safe work habits, participates in sanitation procedures, and reports hazards.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be available to work weekends, holidays, and occasional evenings.
- Must have an outgoing and engaging personality.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively communicate with the general public using guest friendly language.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with challenges involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The above position description reflects a general overview of the responsibilities, reporting relationships and position requirements for this job classification. It is not intended to be a complete description of all duties and requirements that may be inherent in the position.