General position overview:
The Center for Biological Diversity seeks a full-time Social Media Strategist to join our Digital team. We’re looking for someone who lives and breathes social media, is passionate about elevating the impact of social media in the conservation movement, and is dedicated to our fight to protect biodiversity and save endangered species.
Our ideal candidate will hit the ground running writing compelling and persuasive social media copy for conservation issues spanning endangered species, climate, public lands, energy justice and more. They’re a self-starter and results oriented. They can work independently and collaboratively with staff and external partners, and can thrive in a fast-paced organization that's fighting for the most important issues of our time.
The Social Media Strategist reports to the Digital Director. The position is remote with a preference for candidates in Tucson, AZ or Portland, OR where Center offices and team members are located.
- Oversee the Center’s main social accounts (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter), including managing the social media calendar.
- Write compelling and persuasive social media copy for a range of important conservation issues spanning endangered species, climate, public lands, energy justice and more.
- Develop and execute innovative, strategic social media campaigns that drive issue awareness, messaging and action, including distributable toolkits and digital assets.
- Work closely with the Digital team and internal programs to develop effective social media strategies, tactics, content, messaging and resources.
- Coordinate social media actions and content across internal programs and external partners and coalitions.
- Cultivate partnerships with coalitions, communities, influencers, vendors, journalists, policymakers, etc. for high-impact social media opportunities.
- Proactively monitor and maintain expertise on the latest social media strategies, tactics, trends and tools for effective advocacy.
- Lead social media campaign calls and brainstorms with internal programs and external partners as needed.
- Moderate comments and inboxes for social media accounts and posts.
- Provide occasional off-hour and rapid-response availability for key moments and strategic opportunities.
- Other relevant duties as they arise.
Essential qualifications and skills:
- More than three years working in the conservation and/or progressive digital advocacy world.
- More than three years of experience managing social media accounts and strategy for a fast-paced organization in the conservation world or similar.
- Ability to quickly distill complex environmental issues at the intersection of law, policy and science into compelling and persuasive social media copy.
- Ability to juggle multiple complex campaigns, priorities, issues and timelines; excellent organization skills.
- A mission-minded self-starter able to work independently or collaboratively with a geographically distributed digital team and organization.
- Experience leveraging key performance indicators to develop, test and optimize social media tactics, campaigns and content.
- Experience engaging with and building strategic relationships with journalists, influencers, coalitions, potential partners, and vendors.
- Expertise on emerging social media strategies, tactics, platforms and tools.
- Deep knowledge of environmental policy and the legal mechanisms at federal and state levels for driving effective action.
- Already embedded in the conservation world.
- Existing relationships and experience working with grassroots organizations led by Black, Indigenous, and other people of color.
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or another language in addition to English, and translation experience to support relevant social media content.
- Experience developing and/or building landing pages for campaigns.
- Experience establishing, growing and cultivating online communities for action.
- Graphic design expertise, including design tactics and ability to produce graphic content for social media using Adobe applications, particularly Ai and Ps; Id a plus.
- Video production expertise, including storytelling tactics and ability to produce video assets for social media using Adobe Pr, or similar.
Required degrees, certifications, or years of experience: Three years of experience in a similar position. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Writing samples or assessments: Please provide examples of social media work; these can be links to personal social media accounts or current/recent work accounts or products (toolkits, campaign microsites, etc.).
Is the role remote, hybrid, or in person? This role can be done remotely, with occasional in-person attendance required for organization retreats or events relevant to work.
Travel requirements: Annual/Bi-annual
Are there any eligibility requirements including a background check or citizenship status? No.
- Paid generous medical, dental and vision plan
- Employer pays 100% of the premium for employee-only plans
- Paid short-term and long-term disability
- 403(b) plan with increasing employer contributions over time and employer match;
- Generous time-off policies including 11 paid holidays and 3 weeks vacation in year 1
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code
- Pet-friendly offices
Salary Range: $45,000 - $60,000 depending on experience