This individual performs a wide variety of medical office duties, under direct physician supervision relating to assisting the physician and/or nurse with patient care. Experience is required in triage (ability to assess patients and screen emergencies), maintaining records with accuracy and neatness, and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
1. Controls patient flow for physician. Take patients to rooms; get vital signs, update medication and history and/or chief complaints.
2. Assists physicians in preparing for examinations and office procedures.
3. Make appointments for specialist referrals, special x-rays or laboratory testing.
4. Answer patient calls to physician and be sure they are handled in a satisfactory and timely manner.
5. Ability to take medical history information for basic database.
6. Prepares exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments and supplies
7. Prepares injections as ordered by the physician.
8. Prepare patient for examination, including appropriate clothing, positioning, and
supplies necessary to complete patient exam.
9. Ensures timely communication with physician and patients.
10. Replenishes supplies – cleans exam room after each patient per infection control guidelines and stocks exam rooms at end of each day. This includes sharps containers being replaced when full.
11. Perform other duties and projects as assigned.