Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as a Warehouser. We currently have three temporary, part-time, non-benefited positions available.
Responsible for daily operations of the warehouse at the zoo.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Prepares bulk animal diets, following prescribed standing orders for the assigned areas of the zoo.
- Delivers and picks up diets to/from animal units to fulfill Animal Management needs.
- Picks up food and non-food items from vendors as needed.
- Orders items under the direction of the Purchasing & Distribution Manager.
- Cleans and organizes the warehouse.
- Communicates with commissary management regarding stock shortages and quality concerns.
- Collects invoices, credit card receipts and packing slips to document purchases; checks invoices against packing slips; and assists with inventory counts.
- Performs routine record-keeping and related clerical duties such as data entry and maintenance of files and records.
- Maintains and monitors grain, hay, and food quality in accordance with USDA regulations and AZA accreditation standards.
- Fills and delivers uniform orders; maintains uniform inventory.
- Receives, stocks, and delivers equipment, materials, and supplies for the zoo.
- Assists in training new staff or other staff in Warehouser tasks, as directed.
- Safely operates a forklift.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work with hay, dust, crickets, worms, fish, blood, and dead prey animals.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include evenings, weekend and/or holidays.
- A valid Washington Driver’s License.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Six months or more related experience and/or training in a food warehouse environment.
- Washington State Fork Lift Safety Certification or the ability to obtain certification.
- PREFERRED SKILLS
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office, specifically Outlook.
- Experience with inventory management software.
- This position must frequently lift or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift and or move up to 100 pounds.
- A considerable amount of walking and standing is required.
- This position is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather) and variable weather conditions. The warehouse is not thoroughly heated or cooled and can be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Food is stored in a walk-in cooler and walk-in freezer. This position is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration; and exotic animals. The noise level in the environment is typically moderate, but can vary. This position requires an ability to walk or transit across the 92-acre facility in variable weather conditions.
Want to know more? Read the full job description here!
- As of November 24, 2021, employees working on or accessing zoo grounds are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by your first day of employment.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license with a safe driving history. A criminal background check, driving record review, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment tuberculosis test will be required of the selected applicant.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Resume is required, cover letter is optional but preferred.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.