Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as an Animal Diet Specialist. We currently have three temporary, part-time, non-benefited positions available.
Responsible for daily preparation of diets for animals within the zoo’s collection.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Prepares animal diets, following prescribed diet sheets, to be delivered to assigned areas of the zoo.
- Stocks commissary kitchen with perishable food needed for diet preparation.
- Cleans and organizes commissary kitchen in accordance with USDA regulations and AZA accreditation standards.
- Maintains and monitors food quality according to USDA regulations and AZA accreditation standards.
- Communicates with Commissary management regarding food order changes, stock shortages and quality concerns related to animal diet prep.
- Performs routine record-keeping and related clerical duties such as data entry and maintenance of animal diet files.
- Assists in training new staff or other staff in Animal Diet Specialist tasks as directed.
- Creates food based enrichment per approved requests from Animal Management.
- Washes and sanitizes animal diet dishes/containers returned to the Commissary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Experience with diet preparation processes.
- Must be able to work with hay, dust, crickets, worms, fish, blood, and dead prey animals.
- Ability to handle knives/kitchen appliances in a safe manner.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which may include evenings, weekend and/or holidays.
- A valid Washington Driver’s License.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office.
- At least six months related experience and/or training in a professional food or kitchen environment.
- This position must frequently lift or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and or move up to 75 pounds.
- A considerable amount of walking and standing is required.
- Some stooping and crouching is required to access items on lower shelves.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to a typical warehouse environment. The commissary is not thoroughly heated or cooled and can be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Food is stored in a walk-in cooler and walk-in freezer. This position is occasionally exposed to noise from trucks, forklift, and dust blowers. This position requires an ability to walk or transit across the 92-acre facility in variable weather conditions.
Want to know more? Read the full job description here!
- As of November 24, 2021, employees working on or accessing zoo grounds are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by your first day of employment.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license with a safe driving history. A criminal background check, driving record review, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment tuberculosis test will be required of the selected applicant.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Resume is required. Cover letter is optional but preferred. ???????
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.