Created in 1978 by Baron Philippe de Rothschild and Robert Mondavi, Opus One remains committed to realizing our founders’ dream of bringing to life one unique wine that expresses the seamlessly blended personality and character of each family. With a great sense of pride in our work to realize this dream, the people of Opus One bring profound dedication and unsurpassed attention to detail in our daily work. We care deeply for the quality of our relationships within the winery, with our trade partners and with our customers.
The On Call Chef is responsible for working in conjunction with the Executive Chef and the Pastry Chef de Partie to create all dishes and tasting components for the culinary programs and events including daily guest visits, private experiences, business lunches, company dinners and special events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work closely with the Executive Chef to create and execute innovative, seasonal, high-end menus for the Opus One Experience, the Art of the Table and all marketing/sales and outside events.
- Have a passion for working with wine and food and demonstrate experience working in a high-pace, high-standard kitchen.
- Work well under pressure.
- Be extremely detailed-oriented and demonstrate strict safety and sanitation practices.
- Display confidence in working all the stations in the kitchen.
- Work closely with the Executive Chef to execute high level wine and food experiences.
- Be able to assist in execution of food program items with consistency and high quality, including portion control, presentation, quality of finished product; temperature; etc.
- Work with Executive Chef to test and implement new recipes and menu items.
- Uphold highest levels of cleanliness and sanitation.
- ServSafe Manager Certified.
The above information is representative of the work performed in this position however it is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility does not exclude it from the position if the work is similar or related to the essential duties and responsibilities.
- Wine industry experience preferred with an excellent wine palate for tasting and evaluating wine and food pairings.
- Superior planning skills with a strong attention to accuracy and detail.
- Familiarity with all food safety procedures, experience with local Napa requirements a plus.
- Experience dealing with changing priorities and last-minute scheduling changes or additions while maintaining a positive attitude and demeanor.
- Flexibility to work as needed, evenings, weekends and holidays, as well as flexibility in scheduling to ensure business needs are met.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Strong background in high-quality restaurant, winery food program, and/or culinary education with at least 5 years of experience in a fine-dining restaurant or winery kitchen; comprehensive wine knowledge; understanding, desire, and ability to represent Opus One in order to promote our wine and image; college degree or college level coursework preferred; knowledge of viticulture, winemaking, wine marketing, and/or wine tasting preferred.
Excellent command of written and spoken English. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and percentages. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and/or fingers to handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to sit, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, talk or hear, taste or smell. The employee must have the ability to taste, discriminate and describe on a blind basis a wide range of wines and foods and must have the ability to speak without amplification for a minimum of 4 hours. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
COMMITTMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY
Opus One Winery is committed to doing its part to ensure a sustainable future and improve the environmental well-being of our community. We will continue to ensure minimal impact by continually evaluating our environmental performance and working to improve our program whenever necessary with integrity and purity of focus.
SAFETY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Accident prevention shall be considered of primary importance in all phases of job responsibilities.
- Follow all company policies and procedures including job safety, safety rules and regulations.
- Assist management to always provide safe and healthy working conditions.
- Immediately report all unsafe conditions, work-related accidents, and illnesses to Safety Manager and supervisor.