- Are you a justice nerd who is passionate about social justice?
- Are you a seasoned business and operations wiz?
- Do you believe that inclusive planning, transparency and accountability leads to good organizational decision making?
- Are you insatiably curious about operational efficiency and love to discuss tools and systems improvements that lead to more effective ways of working for a team?
- Do you get a lot of satisfaction from developing leaders and helping someone else succeed?
- Do you thrive working in a rapidly evolving environment that requires innovation, agility, and managing ambiguity?
- Do you excel at using your planning and management skills to deliver excellent thought partnership?
- Are you able to identify trends and anticipate challenges and opportunities?
- Do you enjoy working as part of an “all-hands-on-deck” team?
If you answered yes to these questions, then you may want to check out this exciting opportunity with the Center for Policing Equity (CPE)!
CPE is looking for a Sr. Director of Administration, reporting directly to the SVP, Finance and Operations. The Sr. Director of Administration will play a critical role in business operations and partnering with the leadership team in strategic decision-making as the organization continues to scale. This is a critical role that will manage and improve the efficiency of the organization's operations. Duties for the Director of Administration will include managing administrative staff, guiding operating methods, improving information systems, and developing operating procedures and policies. Your superior organizational skills and strategic planning skills will assist our organization in harmonizing operations, optimizing employee performance, and enhancing our business model. Duties will include (but are not limited to) the areas listed below.
Strategic Leadership (20%)
- Play a key role on the Finance and Operations leadership team. Foster a culture that encourages diversity, equity, inclusion, collaboration, accountability, and transparency. Contribute to the organization’s overall success and sustainability.
- Support with developing the organization’s operational strategy and vision, as the organization continues to grow and embark on a new strategic plan.
- Support with developing and tracking important KPIs and analyzing trends to provide continuous evaluation and planning to keep the Finance and Operations team focused and on track toward long-term goals.
- Develop organizational resources and tools to empower leaders within the CPE to work smarter, not harder.
- Manage and develop 3 - 6 direct reports, consisting of legal consultants, administrative staff, events management staff, and technology staff.
Administration Leadership (70%)
- Manage and improve people, systems, and processes in the areas of facilities management, business insurance, employee travel, events management, technology, legal, and other administrative functions. Continuously collaborate with program leads to assess the operational efficacy of program operations and establish administrative systems to support program operations.
- Serve as the organization’s subject matter expert and coordinator in matters pertaining to operational and administrative excellence.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies; improve the organization’s administrative internal policies and procedures.
- Effectively propose, communicate and present administrative and operational policies to the SVP, Finance and Operations.
- Work with the Finance and Operations leadership team to play a key role in CPE’s efforts to further its Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) work, including raising and leaning into important and sometimes uncomfortable conversations with authenticity, thoughtfulness, openness, and sensitivity.
- Partner with the Finance and Operations leadership team to improve and implement an employee credit card and travel policy.
- Support with the annual budgeting and planning process and the annual financial audit in conjunction with the Finance and Operations leadership team; support the completion and approval of a strategically aligned budget and annual audit.
- Work with the Finance and Operations leadership team to ensure internal controls and budget management in the areas of facilities management, inventory/asset management, events management, business insurance, technology, legal, and other infrastructure needs.
- Manage and minimize risk by monitoring risk management policies and procedures to ensure that program and organizational risks are minimized. Review and recommend adjustments in insurance coverage for the organization and the Board of Trustees.
Our ideal candidate is/has:
- Passionate about CPE’s mission.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Experience leading organizational operations and administrative infrastructure.
- Successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making.
- Excellent relationship-building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders and contractors.
- Excellent communications skills both written and verbal.
- A collaborative project manager: Can manage multiple projects involving different individuals, teams and vendors to meet collective goals on time and with excellence, and can model and extend these practices throughout the organization.
- A supportive manager and developer of people and teams: Has experience supervising and developing staff and creating a productive, inclusive team culture.
- Unquestionable integrity and experience managing budgets.
- Keenly aware of issues impacting organizational culture: Driven by a commitment to equity, and considers decisions through that lens. Can lead and strengthen an organizational culture that is deliberately diverse, equitable and inclusive.
- An excellent ambassador: Can clearly communicate both one-to-one and with a staff as a whole. Models the values of CPE.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and what you would bring to CPE. Open until filled.
At CPE, we are committed to providing candidates with a robust, yet inclusive and transparent hiring process. We understand that interviewing can be a stressful and time-consuming process, and aim to set you up for success and minimize that stress and uncertainty. In terms of timing, steps three to seven below will typically take anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks. Finally, we use scenario-based exercises throughout our recruitment process to expose you to our work and to evaluate your potential to contribute to our team. Our recruitment process stages are outlined below:
- Review of your resume/CV, and/ or any relevant work samples submitted for initial screening
- Q&A with the hiring manager, allowing candidates an opportunity to discuss and inquire about salary, role expectations and priorities, the hiring manager's leadership style, organizational culture, values, "unwritten rules", and any additional questions the candidate may have before deciding to proceed with the process (NOTE: This is a great opportunity for candidates to get a better understanding for what it is like to work for CPE. This conversation will not be used to evaluate candidates in any way. This conversation is meant to serve as an open and honest opportunity for candidates to learn more about CPE's work environment before the candidate decides to continue in the hiring process.)
- Candidate's submission of a one-way video interview via Spark Hire
- First-round interview with the Talent & Culture team to assess culture and values fit
- Second round interview with several of the candidate's future team members, including direct reports, if applicable
- Final interview with the organization's President and COO and the hiring manager
- Reference checks