|As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
CPE is looking for a part-time (25 hours/week) contract Content Writer to join our team and help us shine a light on the work we are doing with both police departments and with communities across the US.
The Content Writer will help CPE tell the stories of our work both inside police departments and working alongside community groups who believe public safety is not reserved for some groups, but for all. Part digital journalism, part organizational communications, and part donor communications, the Content Writer will draw upon the data we analyze, the Technical Assistance we provide, as well as the expertise of our team, to help readers understand the issues of race and policing facing our country, and what CPE is doing to reimagine and redesign public safety.
The Content Writer will use real-world examples to explain the experiences of communities with police, the role that law enforcement are playing in the disparities facing non-White communities across the country, and with help from CPE, the two groups are working together to ultimately create safer communities, while highlighting the complexities and nuances of our work.
This Content Writer will help educate and engage our various audiences through content creation for traditional comms outlets, newsletters, social media, and our website.
- Meet with internal teams to holistically understand how CPE is working to reimagine and redesign public safety
- Craft the stories that can be shared across multiple platforms and with various stakeholders
- Create long-form pieces synthesizing information obtained through conversations, as well as existing internal and external research and news reports to tell important stories about policing in the US
- Monitor the news to identify opportunities for our current or previous work to inform the public on key issues
- Assist the Development team in crafting the stories for fundraising emails or reports
- Work with the Communications Manager to highlight key information and make it accessible for journalists and other researchers
- At least 7 years previous experience in journalism, policy, or related work writing for a general audience about race, policing, or similar issues
- Excellent writing skills with a focus on accuracy and detail
- Ability to rapidly synthesize complex topics into clear, compelling prose and produce clean and grammatically correct copy
- Adept at drawing upon multiple sources of information to connect the dots and help readers understand key points, trends, and patterns that may not be immediately obvious
- Exceptional fluency in race and policing and the way they are discussed in mainstream media, as well as the ability to quickly learn new topics as they arise
- Team player, comfortable working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Passionate about social justice issues
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio (3 writing samples)