GENERAL SUMMARY (What is done and why)
The Teller/New Accounts Representative position is primarily responsible for performing teller duties, which includes cashing checks, receiving and processing deposits, payments and withdrawals for individual and business accounts, and proof capture. The position performs a variety of customer services such as opening new checking, savings, and certificate of deposit accounts, closing deposit accounts, answering questions from existing and prospective customers, and answering and transferring calls. Work is varied in nature with changing priorities. Incumbent applies general knowledge of teller operations and bank products and services to work performed, and works under general supervision and in compliance with established policies, procedures and regulations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Majority of duties, but not meant to be all inclusive nor prevent other duties from being assigned as necessary)
- Accepts and processes checking and savings deposits including night deposits; inspects deposit tickets and deposited items for completeness and correctness; validates customer receipts. Places holds on accounts to identify uncollected funds.
- Cashes checks and savings withdrawals within prescribed limits.
- Sells and prepares cashier’s checks.
- Prepares daily totals and corresponding tickets for transactions. Assembles and prepares, within established schedule, all transactions for timely processing.
- Monitors and maintains an adequate supply of currency and coin; balances cash drawer according to established schedule and performance standards. Sells excess coin and currency to vault, or buys coin and currency to maintain minimum but adequate drawer supply.
- Performs proof capture.
- Responds to customer inquiries regarding basic account information (e.g., account balance, check clearance, etc.). Prints account history, researches and resolves problems, initiates and follows up research requests and may refund fees when appropriate.
- Provides customers with product information.
- May open or close branch, main vault or night deposit vault for the day.
- May open, replenish or balance branch’s ATM machine according to established schedule.
- Processes change orders.
- Welcomes and interviews customers and prospects to acquire information and define personal and business financial needs; recommends and sells retail products to meet their financial needs and opens appropriate new accounts. Enter new account information into computer system.
- Provides customers services such as telephone account transfers, check orders, notary services, and account closures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES (Minimum education, experience, technical and communication skill levels and licenses/certificates normally required to perform the duties of this position.)
- Moderate math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
- Advanced PC skills including word processing, spreadsheet, platform and teller applications.
- Advanced written, oral and interpersonal communications skills with the ability to explain all retail products and services in order to sell Bank products and services and to respond to customer inquiries.
- Ability to understand and apply teller and new account services, policies, and procedures including Bank Secrecy Act and Audit requirements.
- Ability to understand and operate retail computer systems and applications.
This level of knowledge is normally acquired through completion of a high school diploma, or equivalent, completion of in-house Teller & new account training and 1 year in lobby services experience.
WORKING CONDITIONS (Typical working conditions associated with this type of work and environmental hazards, if any, that may be encountered in performing the duties of the position.)
Internal – Work is normally performed in climate controlled office environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases is very limited. Noise level is moderate and includes sounds of normal office equipment (computers, telephones, etc.). Work involves potential exposure to dangerous criminal activity. Work may be interrupted at any given time, and incumbent must be able to return to it without making errors.
External – N/A
PHYSICAL DEMANDS (The physical effort generally associated with this position)
Work involves standing and walking for extended periods of time and potential eyestrain from reading detailed printouts and computer screen. Deadlines, disgruntled customers and workloads during peak periods may cause increased stress levels. Work may include occasional pushing, pulling, or carrying objects weighing up to 20 pounds such as cash drawer, files, documents, coin, and computer printouts; occasionally includes moving objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Work normally requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate computer keyboard at a moderate skill level.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS/CONTACTS (Positions, other than supervisor and immediate co-workers, with which incumbent has frequent contact and the reason for contact.)
Internal – Primarily within own Branch; occasional contact with associate at the Bank’s main location or other branches for product support and problem research or resolution.
External – Extensive contact with customers to provide customer service, product information, and business development.
Supervision of Other – N/A
ACCOUNTABILITY (Budget/asset amount managed, revenues/profits produced, and/or other financial resource incumbent is accountable for. Also indicates judgement/decision making level.)
This position is responsible for the management of assigned cash drawer, growth of new account customer portfolio, accuracy of transactions received and processed, and for providing quality customer service.