Basic Job Function: To prepare and garnish cold meats, fish and poultry dishes; prepare appetizers, hors d’oeuvres, relishes, and salad dressings; may prepare cold sauces, pickles, mat jellies, and meat stuffings, according to the hotel’s high standards of quality. Supervises and trains Pantry employees.
- Creates, designs and prepares all cold food items for buffet, banquet and restaurant use according to standard recipes or as otherwise specified by the supervisor, to ensure consistency of product to the guest. Prepares ice carvings and sets up and decorates buffets. Requires lifting and transportation of heavy food products weighing up to 50 lbs. and with wheeled assistance up to 300 lbs.
- Supervise, train and evaluate all Pantry staff. Schedules appropriate number of staff according to daily needs, banquet functions and weekly forecasts. Assists in the creation of new dishes and recipes and continually reviews recipes to improve as needed.
- Visually inspects appearance of all cold food for proper color combination and overall presentation to maintain appeal. Selects and uses only the freshest fruits, vegetables, meats and other food products of the highest standard in the preparation of all menu items. Inspects food items by regularly tasting on a daily basis to ensure food quality standards are met.
- Ensures proper storage of all food items in refrigerators and freezers to maintain product freshness. Keeps all refrigeration, storage and working areas in clean working condition in order to comply with Health Department regulations.
- Inventories and orders/requisitions required produce and dry goods according to anticipated needs.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Report all suspicious persons or activities and hazardous or unsafe conditions to the Security Department.
- Provide instruction and/or guidance for guest and employee safety in fire or other emergency situations.
- Respond to all guest questions. Provide guest assistance, direction and information as requested when working in public areas.
- Performs any general cleaning tasks using standard hotel cleaning products as assigned by the supervisor to adhere to health standards.
- Properly rotates food products in order to keep spoilage and waste to a minimum.
- Set-up and replenish buffets.
- Prepare and/or approve requisitions for Kitchen supplies and food items.
- Performs a variety of other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma preferred.
- Associate of Arts degree preferred.
- Four (4) or five (5) years cold food preparation experience required.
- Experience in a similar sized operation preferred.
- Certification of tuberculosis clearance required.
- CPR and Standard First Aid Certification preferred.
- Kitchen Sanitation Certificate preferred.
Mental Capacity & Organizational Skill Requirements:
- Thorough working knowledge of cold food preparation.
- Good working knowledge of accepted standards of sanitation.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with stoves, ovens, broilers, steamers, kettles, mixers, slicers, grinders, food processors, etc.
- Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements, requisition amounts, portion sizes and yield per case.
- Ability to pay attention to detail, work in a fast paced environment, handle multiple tasks and have a high level of patience.
- Ability to read, write and understand the English language in order to complete requisitions, read recipes and communicate with other employees.
Physical Requirements (Based on an 8-hour work day)_:
? Stand / Walk: __6__ hours a day
? Sit: __.5-1__ hours a day
? Drive: ____ hours a day
Lift/carry: (Occasionally = 1/3 workday. Frequently = up to 2/3 workday)
? 0-20 lbs. ? Not at all X Occasionally ? Frequently
? 21-50 lbs. ? Not at all X Occasionally ? Frequently
? 51-100 lbs. ? Not at all X Occasionally ? Frequently
Employee is required to:
X Bend: ? Not at all ? Occasionally X Frequently
X Squat: ? Not at all X Occasionally ? Frequently
X Kneel: ? Not at all X Occasionally ? Frequently
X Climb: ? Not at all X Occasionally ? Frequently
X Reach above shoulders: ? Not at all X Occasionally ? Frequently
X Perform Repetitive Hand Motions: ? Not at all ? Occasionally X Frequently
Other Physical Requirements:
- Ability to stand and work continuously in confined spaces.
- Sufficient manual dexterity of hand in order to use all kitchen equipment (i.e. knives, spoons, spatulas, tongs, slicers, etc.)
- Ability to lift, bend, stoop, walk, push/pull heavy equipment and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges.
X Indoors: ? Not at all ? Occasionally X Frequently
X Outdoors: ? Not at all X Occasionally ? Frequently
- Ability to comply with hotel rules and regulations including policies regarding safety and grooming standards.
- Must be able to work varying shifts and maintain attendance in accordance with the hotel’s attendance policy.