Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as the Youth & Adult Learning Manager.
This position is responsible for leading efforts in the engagement of youth and adult audiences in mission-based learning programs. This position is responsible for establishing strong internal and external partnerships that advance the zoo’s strategic goals, generate revenue, and provide access to mission-based programs for audiences both on and off zoo grounds.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide direction to create a slate of relevant and innovative programs for the zoo’s target audiences including children and students age 13 and up, educators, adults and seniors.
- Pursue and manage revenue-producing programs, which anticipate societal trends and are responsive to audience demands. Oversee the development, implementation, and evaluation of transformative experiences including but not limited to: youth development activities, educator master's degree program, internships, virtual programing, classes, field courses, lectures, and trainings.
- Integrate diversity, equity, and inclusion practices and principles in all aspects of work, including but not limited to, the evaluation of programs and projects as well as the development and management of people and partnerships.
- Manage cross-departmental program development and/or implementation teams.
- Stay informed of new trends and research in behavior change, guest engagement and universal design and inclusion practices.
- With support of the Development Department, write grant proposals and reports; participate in fundraising and donor cultivation efforts.
- Serve on the Learning and Innovation Management Team; work with other zoo managers and supervisors to ensure smooth, effective operations and programs to meet strategic plan goals.
- Develop and manage program and grant budgets, expenses, and financial records.
- Develop and strengthen internal and external partnerships.
- Oversee development and distribution of promotional materials, blogs, reports, statistics, publications, communications/interpretive materials and other promotional and support materials
- Represent the zoo at internal and external meetings and conferences that serve to strengthen the zoo’s position as a leading conservation education organization locally and nationally.
- Learn from and share knowledge with colleagues while building relevant partnerships.
- Develop staff work plans, conduct annual staff evaluations, and effectively coach/mentor employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Graduate Degree or equivalent background in conservation, biology, science education, community engagement, or related field of study and four (4) or more years’ related experience; and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Supervisory experience and ability managing staff and operations of a work team and overseeing comprehensive program development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Ability to challenge current assumptions and push boundaries; able to imagine explore and implement cutting edge and experimental programming.
- Ability to identify and implement creative and dynamic earned and contributed revenue opportunities that connect participants to the zoo’s mission.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to lead and motivate teams, bring in and support different perspectives, and work with diverse populations and a variety of stakeholders (staff, executive leaders, donors, board members, school administrators, volunteers and members/visitors, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to listen, give and receive feedback in a productive and professional manner. Able to translate vision into planning and organizational implementation.
- Ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks, agendas and projects in a fast-paced environment with high energy and creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to establish strong working relationships and partnerships, both internally and externally, and work effectively with others throughout the institution. Understanding and sensitivity to public and private partnerships.
- Ability to work with the public including diverse populations and people of all ages and abilities.
- Ability to build, lead and motivate cross-departmental planning and implementation teams to support mission-driven change. Employ effective facilitation skills to lead internal and external meetings and collaborative processes. Use project planning and time management skills to ensure project timelines and deliverables are met.
- Proficient use of computer systems and software such as Microsoft Office and ability to work with customized databases and technology.
- Ability to effectively present information to zoo management, public groups, donors, and zoo board members.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License.
- Ability to speak a language in addition to English.
- This position may be required to lift up to 30lbs.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to a typical office environment and/or outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Want to know more? Read the full job description here!
Applicants must be at least 18 years old. A criminal background check and a driving record review will be required of the selected applicant.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are required.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.