The purpose of this position is to provide quality service of washing hospital linen and patient clothing in a timely manner. Position is full time – rotating shifts, weekends, holidays and the occasional overtime.
- Receives hospital dirty linen; maintains a system of linen control and distribution; delivers clean linen to Hospital linen room.
- Collects soiled linen, separates soiled linen by description bath blankets, bedspreads, blankets, sheets, fitted sheets, bath towels, maternity gowns, open back gowns, mattress pads, tele gowns, baby blankets, pillowcases, OR scrubs, dental scrubs, hospital scrubs, and isolation gowns.
- Dirty linen well be placed into the washer machine. When finished washing it well then be transferred to the dryer for drying. After loading dirty linen and starting washer the washer shall be cleaned and wiped down with a hospital approved disinfectant. The dryer will be disinfected after each load to eliminate any cross contamination.
- Cleans and disinfect laundry bins out after each is emptied. Sweeps and mops facility to prevent lint from building up.
- Picks up dirty linen from hospital dirty linen room, delivers dirty linen to laundry building, then delivers clean linen back to the main Hospital clean linen storage room.
- Sorts clean linen and packages linen to be delivered.
- Laundry truck and laundry carts will be cleaned out with hospital approved disinfectant after each dirty linen delivery to prevent cross contamination.
- Ensure proper PPE is always worn while on duty including but not limited to face mask, gloves, gown, NIOSH-approved N95 filtering respirator or higher (if available), and eye or face shield.
- Complete all donning and doffing tasks in a safe acceptable method and discard of used PPE accordingly. (See CDC website for most current updates).
- Complete task training for all routine cleaning and decontamination processes for all surfaces contaminated by a communicable disease to ensure a high level of patient, visitor, employee, and external customer satisfaction.
- Ensure all “red zone” tasks and call backs are per House Supervisor’s and Department Manager’s PPE requirements. Complete all donning and doffing tasks in a safe acceptable method and discard of used PPE accordingly. Training will be provided.
- Complete task training for all routine cleaning and decontamination processes for all surfaces contaminated by a communicable disease to ensure a high level of patient, visitor, employee and external customer satisfaction.
- Perform other duties assigned.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position requires the ability to occasionally sit, drive, climb, kneel and cough, frequently bend, twist and reach and ability to stand, walk, and maintain balance for a prolonged period of time. Must be able to lift to 24-34lbs for a prolonged period of time and frequently lifting up to 75lbs as well as occasionally lifting up to 100lbs when necessary. Must be able to push/pull up to 75lbs for a prolonged period of time and occasionally over 100 lbs. Position requires ability of near vison, color vision, depth perception, seeing fine details, hearing normal speech and occasionally far vision, hearing overhead pages and telephone use. Must have ability of both hand manipulation of prolonged simple grasping, firm grasping, fine manipulation and occasional use of keyboards.
Must be able to prioritize and use good judgment. Must accept flexible schedule to meet unit needs. Must have ability to cope with high levels of stress, concentrate, handle multiple priorities in stressful situations, work alone, demonstrate high degree of patience, adapt to shift work, work in areas that are close and crowded as well as frequent ability to handle a high degree of flexibility and the ability to occasionally make decisions under high pressure, cope with anger/fear/hostility of others in a calm way and manage altercations.
While in this position you may be exposed to infectious disease, chemical agents, dust, fumes, gases, and loud noises over a majority of the shift as well as frequent exposure to extremes in temperature or humidity, hazardous or moving equipment and unprotected heights.