|We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Behr Iron & Metal, an Alter Trading Company, is a 115+ year old, privately held company with several scrap metal processing facilities throughout the Midwest and Southern region is searching for a Shredder Manager at its Peoria, IL location. Alter is committed to our customers by being the best source of both ferrous and non-ferrous metal and by giving great customer service. Our corporate support center and marketing is located in St. Louis, MO, with Trading Offices located in St. Louis and in Hong Kong. Our website is www.Altertrading.com
The Shredder Manager is responsible to ensure the safe and efficient operations of the shredder along with the facility manager.
- Responsible for safety and environmental compliance across the shredding operations. In conjunction with the Safety Director and Safety Coordinators, leads safety improvement activities and is an active and engaged participant in Alter's safety program.
- Sets operating schedules, daily and monthly production goals, and operating processes in conjunction with Facility Manager and other facility management staff.
- Uses metrics including tons/hour, downtime percentage, NF pounds recovered, operating costs, etc. to measure performance and quality of the shredding operation.
- Prepares and monitors annual budgets and monthly operating costs for shredding operations
- Responsible for entering and maintaining production records
- Ensure outbound product standards are met for applicable steel mill specifications
- Identifies, quantifies and drives evaluation of new technology for future implementation at the shredder. Participates fully in company-wide committees on shredder. Shares own and implements others' best practices to improve performance.
- Works with Maintenance to order spare or replacement parts and maintains inventory of incoming and existing parts to ensure productions needs are met.
- In conjunction with Transportation staff, manages trucking and rail transportation activities related to shredding operation.
- In conjunction with Maintenance, directs preventative and emergency maintenance activities for the shredder in order to improve both availability and costs.
- Directly oversees management of production employees on one shift and communicates with maintenance staff. To include staffing, performance management, training and development, and associated personnel decisions.
- Work with Marketing staff to grade and price scrap, and to maintain excellent relationship with both commercial and peddler customers.
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned or directed.
Associates or Bachelor's degree preferred. Must have 3-5 years' experience supervising personnel and direct responsibility for performance of a heavy equipment production operation. Must be familiar with mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and large motor sub-systems as well as metals recycling operations and shredders. Position is outside in all weather in a heavy manufacturing environment and successful candidates will be hands-on operators as well. Excellent open communication style required to carry out responsibilities with all levels employees.