Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as a Gardener. We have one full-time regular, benefitted position available.
The gardener maintains horticultural landscape activities in assigned areas by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide hands on horticultural maintenance of assigned area.
- Make recommendations on aesthetic, functional and facility improvements.
- Make field decisions on appropriate tools, methods and techniques to accomplish assigned task(s).
- Provide training to intermittent assistant gardeners and volunteers as required.
- Maintain records and prepare reports as required.
- Transplant and prune trees and shrubs. Prepare, plant, and maintain planting beds. Seed lawn areas and transplant sod. Fertilize, mow, aerate, and generally maintain lawn areas and sprinkler systems.
- Lead a small group of assistant gardeners, laborers, and volunteers in daily activities.
- Ball, burlap, plant, and transplant trees and shrubs; rototill topsoil; grade, seed, and perform sod work for new lawn areas; plant ground cover; design and install flower beds and plant annuals, biennials, and perennials.
- Apply pesticides. Spray trees and shrubs; direct the operation of spraying equipment and maintain records of pesticide application.
- Repair irrigation systems.
- Perform other related duties of a comparable level/type as assigned.
There are no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrated experience in the care and management of horticultural assets as they pertain to zoological or related institutions, including rose gardens.
- Understanding of IPM principles and techniques required.
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, procedures, tools, and equipment associated with landscaping and gardening is required.
- Familiarity with troubleshooting, analyzing, repairing and programming manual, automated, and computer rum irrigation systems highly desired.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institutions’ Core Values.
Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from an accredited two-year college or technical school; or one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office and basic computer skills required to communicate via email, fill out electronic timesheets, forms, and other electronic record keeping.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid US driver's license required.
- Washington State Public Pesticide Operator's License required within a year of employment.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand or walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; work in high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Want to know more? Read the full job description here!
Pay: $24.65 per hour, plus benefits.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license. A criminal background check, driving record review, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment tuberculosis test will be required of the selected applicant.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are required.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.