Love animals? Want to make a positive impact on the planet? Come join Woodland Park Zoo as the Director of Customer Experience.
This position provides a strategic leadership role, with a focus on building a cohesive, customer-centered culture intent on exceeding customer expectations. This role is a balance between strategic and practical, tactical execution for the admissions, guest services, reception, and carousel. Responsible for enterprise management of and relations of onsite external partners/vendors for parking services, photo/art concessionaire, and the ZooStores. Assists in providing strategic direction and cross-departmental leadership for all Guest Services programs and initiatives. This position will define, create, and lead the implementation and execution of innovative strategies that deliver a consistent and trusted service experience for zoo customers. This position champions the customer experience to create competitive advantage and drive revenue growth through well-served and engaged customers, while balancing the realities of our business needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- In collaboration with the CFO provide vision, strategic direction, and leadership to ensure Guest Services programs, operations, and business plans support the zoo’s mission and strategic & operating plan.
- Develop leading edge strategies to expand our reach, impact, and quality of customer engagement in collaboration with departmental leaders of Animal Management, Learning & Innovation, Development, People & Culture, and Government Affairs.
- Gain a firsthand understanding of how customers engage with the brand across all touch points and draw conclusions to continually evolve, improve, and optimize customer service.
- Outline “the service journey” to achieve the customer experience vision, including key benchmarks and measures of success.
- Establish metrics for defining our relationship with customers and define targets for the organization.
- Work with all department managers in the customer experience center to define the customer experience vision, and set and communicate team goals and strategy. Foster a culture of accountability and continuous improvement.
- Maintain customer pricing integrity and lead company pricing strategy in collaboration with the membership department and pricing teams.
- Oversee and drive complex projects and committee as required by executive leadership.
- Establish methods for obtaining consistent and formal customer feedback. Establish action plan based on results and work in collaboration with all departments.
- In collaboration with the leadership team, evaluate the existing customer service technology stack to better understand opportunities and risks. Introduce relevant and value-add customer engagement functionally and leverage appropriate emerging innovations as part of the overall customer experience.
- Develop and manage relationships internally and externally, positively representing the zoo’s operational expertise.
- Keep an open dialogue with executive leadership to promote strategic ideas that enhance overall customer experiences.
- Serve as part of the senior leadership team and report on key business and operational activities related to how we improve the overall customer experience while delivering on key metrics.
- Guide the culture within the customer experience to ensure customer engagements are true to the zoo’s beliefs, mission, and values.
- Create a nimble organization that responds quickly to customer’s needs.
- Provide oversight and direction of multiple functional areas within the Business Development & Finance division.
- With the CFO, develop and manage the guest services annual budget and earned revenue initiatives.
- Identify new processes to reduce costs and maintain strict fiscal controls.
- Identify new opportunities to measure and increase value for visitors.
- Oversee the development of ongoing financial and operating performance reports, measurements, levers, and vendor payments
- Actively support and assist departmental managers, supervisors, and coordinate in operational planning, maintaining and exceeding standards for a customer service driven environment, professional development, and budgetary controls.
- Manage the zoo’s strategic enterprise contracts to increase profitability for the zoo, while communicating and monitoring expectations for quality and customer satisfaction.
- Manage and facilitate the zoo’s enterprise vendors’ contract and relations, including but not limited to: minimum guest experience standards, day-to-day operations, positive professional relations, operational expectations, revenue goals, and logistical and operational changes.
- Identify and facilitate growth opportunities based on zoo seasonal needs, physical changes to grounds, and new program offerings that yield a positive guest experience and achieve revenue goals for both the zoo and vendors.
- Develop and maintain uniform zoo standards for all third-party vendors, achieving seamless presentation and overall guest satisfaction.
- Approve annual operating plan for vendor operations.
- Contact and manage third-party (non-presence) vendors and their annual contracts.
- Serve as project team member focused on development, additional department participation, and refinement for point of sale software platform.
- Act as a resource for Animal Management department for existing or proposed earned revenue streams.
- Participate on various special project and charter teams as a departmental representative.
- Work and interact with visitors for continuous evaluation of overall guest experience picture so as to reinforce customer service standards across the zoo.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university and seven(7) or more years of experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Washington State Driver’s License.
- Proven experience managing people and functional areas/departments with the ability to develop and support team members.
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal and organizational communication.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks and requests and meet deadlines in a professional manner.
- Ability to be effective while working both independently and as a team member.
- Ability to evaluate problems and to effectively solve them in a timely manner. Respond to concerns with empathy and inclusivity.
- Ability to delegate responsibilities, work with others, and coach employees to develop their full potential. Provide helpful, behaviorally specific feedback to others. Regularly meet with employees to review their development progress and express confidence in their abilities to be successful. Engage team members in open and honest communication.
- Demonstrated computer skills with proficiency using Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Database systems, research tools, and electronic sources available through the internet.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquires or complaints. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to executive leadership, public groups, and board of directors.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, which includes weekends, evenings, and/or holidays as needed.
- This position may be required to lift up to 35lbs.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to a typical office environment and/or outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Want to know more? Read the full job description here!
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license with a safe driving history. A criminal background check and driving record review will be required of the selected applicant.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Cover letter and resume are required.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at firstname.lastname@example.org.