As a leading manufacturer and distributor of medical supplies and equipment for healthcare simulation and education, Pocket Nurse provides solutions and services that create hands-on learning experiences for the next generation of healthcare professionals. Our small business philosophy is, 'Use your best judgement every day.' Not only do we give team members the guidance and tools to succeed, we give them autonomy to do their best for the company to succeed. This privately held company has been in business since 1992 and is experiencing strong growth year after year.
The Category Manager is responsible to manage assigned product categories to achieve strategic goals including sales objectives, gross margin, inventory turns and service levels. This role ensures that all forecasted product is in stock, on time, and meets the needs for regular, trends, seasonal and project planning of product in the most profitable and efficient manner.
The ideal candidate will have strong analytical abilities and demands fast, but carefully thought-out results. Strong leadership and control of the work process is provided from beginning to end. The role allows for creativity in developing new ideas, systems and technology, and analyzing and improving old ones.
Key Responsibilities and other duties as assigned:
- Ensures proper product stock levels, on time delivery, and allocation.
- Manages margin rates to align with company goals through internal pricing evaluation & cost reduction negotiations.
- Coordinates with other departments to analyze data and increase profitability while maintaining targeted service level and implement action items against it.
- Supports identifying and sourcing suppliers and associated contract negotiations for Manager signature.
- Manages vendor relationships and develops vendor scorecards to resolve issues with Lead Time, Fill Rate, Data Quality, Cost Accuracy, and On Time Performance.
- Manages and maintains the vendor/customer connection for drop ship orders.
- Prepares purchase orders for all new products under brand portfolio, maintains records of various sales trends and prepares appropriate forecasts.
- Monitors the industry and competitive landscape, analyzes internal data such as sales, sourcing and pricing, and identifies and applies patterns and market trends to help refine product strategies.
- Coordinates with Supply Chain to provide inventory analysis to drive the forecast accuracy of $11M of in-stock inventory and 2,500 - 3,500 skus for specific vendors and or/categories.
- Compiles hindsight reporting for recognizing trends for future forecasting.
- Coordinates with the Distribution Center and contracted carrier for just in time deliveries.
- Researches and resolves invoicing discrepancies to ensure accurate accounts payable records.
- Assists with researching and providing Master Data with relevant information for product substitutions and changes that may include SDS, country of origin, or NAFTA regulations.
- Provides product information support including website and catalog item descriptions and pricing to Customer Service, Sales and Marketing.
- Travel is not core to this position but could be scheduled based on business need.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Supply Chain Management, Economics or a related field and 4 years of related experience, or equivalent of 8 years of education and experience.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience as a Retail Buyer, Product Manager, or Category Manager. Medical Device industry a plus.
- Proven collaboration and contract negotiation skills with vendors at all levels.
- Ability to identify and mitigate risk.
- Knowledge of inventory management system and ERP/CRM software.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Intermediate Word skills.
- Understanding of inventory/accounting relationships.
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Detail oriented, strong follow through and ability to prioritize while handling multiple tasks.
Benefits and Compensation:
- Competitive wages and quarterly bonus opportunities.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage options.
- 401(k) with generous company contributions.
- Paid time off, personal time, paid holidays, and flexible/remote work schedules.
- Company-paid life insurance and short-term disability insurance.
- Voluntary life, accident, critical illness, and long-term disability insurance.
- Company-wide cookouts, pot-lucks, and work-day events.
- On-site fitness center, free parking and dog-friendly.
- Opportunities for career enhancements through training and educational programs.
- The opportunity to make a difference in the ever-growing healthcare field.
Physical and Cognitive Demands:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. However, for Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) purposes, the essential functions of the job may or may not have been described for purposes of ADA reasonable accommodation. All reasonable accommodation requests will be reviewed and evaluated on a case-by-case basis and may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit; complete computer related activities; talk and hear; requires and close vision. The member must be able to lift and/or move up to 5 pounds. No employee is authorized to lift and/or move weight over 50 pounds without assistance.
This role requires the individual to be able to understand complex problems, opposing points of view on complex issues, and collaborate and negotiate on alternative solutions; organize and prioritize thoughts, ideas, independently manage their work schedule; apply common sense, analyze and make decisions which have significant impact on the immediate work unit and monitor impact outside immediate work unit; express written and spoken word for internal and external communications and compose materials such as detailed reports, forms, letters, manuals, presentations, etc. and communicate information; and compute, analyze, and interpret complex statistical data for reporting purposes.
Pocket Nurse is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.
Information is available here: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
If you are made a conditional offer of employment, you will be required to undergo a drug test and background check (including criminal record check).