|As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
DC; Remote for the right candidate
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) is looking for a highly-skilled Research Associate with at least 3 years of experience conducting both formative and impact evaluations. The Research Associate will be responsible for co-developing and executing evidenced-based formative and effectiveness evaluation assessments of CPE's signature interventions, managing large-scale efforts to standardize both qualitative and quantitative data analysis from multiple sources, as well as interpreting and communicating findings to a variety of audiences including CPE leadership, staff, funders, and stakeholders. They will be expected to be adept at a range of evaluation methodologies and possess strong organizational skills.
This position will report to the Sr. Intervention Scientist and works in a collaborative effort with the Product Discovery Team.
- Use qualitative and quantitative data to answer evaluation questions related to the implementation and outcomes of signature interventions (Compstat for Justice, Justice Navigator)
- Track achievement on short/intermediate/long-term outcomes of interventions
- Streamline processes to improve efficiency and scalability of evaluation deliverables
- Co-develop and conduct quantitative and qualitative evaluation analyses; develop structured interview protocols and survey content; lead stakeholder interviews including focus groups
- Conduct literature reviews and synthesize evidence-based information for use in protocols or instrument development
- Develop high-quality materials for internal teams, CPE leadership, and external stakeholders (i.e., reports, PowerPoint presentations, white papers)
- Translate findings into recommendations and strategy for a variety of audiences
- Master's degree with a specialization Evaluation, Health Services Research, Social Science disciplines, Epidemiology, Implementation Science or a related field plus 3+ years of relevant professional experience
- Expertise with both quantitative and qualitative evaluation research design, data collection, data visualization, and data analysis
- Quantitative programming experience in Stata or R or similar platforms to conduct descriptive statistics, correlations, multivariate regressions, hierarchical modeling, etc.
- Qualitative evaluation experience with an emphasis on NVivo or a related qualitative software (i.e., reviewing and coding)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and aptitude for working with multiple project teams and coordinating concurrent projects
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse staff of scientists, analysts, data engineers across the organization
- Ability to function effectively both independently and as part of a geographically distributed team
- A keen attention to detail and a profound appreciation for and commitment to using data to tell a compelling story via data visualizations
- PhD degree preferred
- Prior experience with and knowledge of one or more of the following: public safety redesign, social and racial justice issues, public health, public policy, statistics, demography, criminology, sociology, or implementation science
- Experience working with large publicly available datasets on public health, economics, health outcomes, and community-level indicators of wellness and equity
- Experience and interest working with diverse analytic methodologies (e.g., longitudinal data analysis, multilevel modeling, difference-in-difference, grounded theory)
- Ability to create survey instruments and data collection protocols
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Two writing samples (peer-reviewed journal article, technical reports, white paper, data visualization product, etc.)