The incumbent performs a wide range of manual tasks, including but not limited to tree production, grounds and facilities maintenance, equipment maintenance/repair, etc. The incumbent also ensures safe, timely, and accurate deliveries for Casey Trees.
- This position performs a variety of functions geared toward tree production, and farm maintenance including but not limited to:
- Tree planting, pruning, suckering, tying, staking, inventory, weeding, spot-spraying, mulching, calipering, digging, balling, burlapping, root bagging, etc.
- Operates power and non-powered equipment/tools, including but limited to: tractors, track loaders, mowers, augers, tree spades, chippers, sprayers, tillage implements, seed drills, wood splitters, stump grinders, pumps, shovels, chainsaws, line trimmers, blowers, drills, saws, etc.
- Routine equipment and small engine maintenance such as: oil and air filter changes, lubrication, blade sharpening, etc.
- Miscellaneous tasks: painting, fence repairs, cleaning, event set-up, minor carpentry, etc.
- Promotes a safety culture by reducing hazardous conditions resulting from human error, equipment and machine operations that may lead to human injury and/or property damage
- Connects people to trees
- Other duties as assigned
- This position also performs a variety of functions geared toward tree delivery including but not limited to:
- Understands how to operate and safely drive the assigned delivery vehicle
- Follows and maintains loading protocols and ensures trees are properly secured to prevent damage or breakage
- Performs routine safety inspections of the vehicle prior to and following each delivery
- Maintains and services vehicle as necessary (fueling, changing oil, tire pressure, etc) and notifies manager of any major repairs
- Adheres to traffic laws at all times, exercises caution in inclement weather, and reports unsafe vehicle or road conditions to manager
- Adheres to federal, state, and local CDL laws and guidelines
- Maintains accurate logs of milage, inventory, delivery times, and working hours
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, year-round position. The incumbent must be able and willing to work evenings, weekends, and extended hours when needed.
The incumbent has no direct reports.
The incumbent will work outside, and deliver plant materials, year-round in heat, cold and inclement weather.
The physical demands and work environment described are representative of what is encountered while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is frequently required to sit, talk and hear, constant use of hands and fingers to feel, handle or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms is required. The incumbent is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and walk, lift and/or move up to 60 pounds frequently and seldom up to 80 pounds. Vision requirements include close-up, distance, peripheral, color, and the ability to adjust focus.
Local travel in Virginia, Maryland, and the District will be regularly required during the business day. Occasional travel out of the area for training/seminars/events, etc., requiring overnight stay may be expected.