|As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
Washington DC; remote for the right candidate
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) is looking for a highly-skilled Senior Data Analyst with at least 3 years of experience in the collection and evaluation of data. The Senior Data Analyst will be responsible for performing analysis and reporting functions for the evaluation of CPE's signature interventions using publicly available data, staff collected data, programmatic data, and data from our law enforcement partners. In addition, the Senior Data Analyst will be responsible for continuously iterating on streamlining evaluation processes, data analysis, and deliverables.
This position will report to the Sr. Intervention Scientist and works in a collaborative effort with the Product Discovery Team.
- Use qualitative and quantitative data to answer evaluation questions related to the implementation and outcomes of signature interventions (Compstat for Justice, Justice Navigator)
- Perform data pre-processing/wrangling tasks to prepare the data for analysis
- Co-develop evaluation research questions and analytic methods
- Track achievement on short/intermediate/long-term outcomes of interventions
- Translate findings into recommendations and strategy for a variety of audiences
- Lead continual process improvement for data analysis
- Contribute to creation of high-quality materials for internal teams, CPE leadership, and stakeholders (i.e., reports, PowerPoint presentations, white papers)
- Bachelor's degree and 3+ years of relevant professional experience
- Possess end-to-end data expertise including data sourcing, merging, cleaning, restructuring/wrangling, and visualization
- Highly proficient statistical programming in R or similar platforms to conduct descriptive statistics, correlations, multivariate regressions, hierarchical modeling, time series analysis, etc.
- Expert capability to explain analytical findings in clear terms that can be understood by non-technical audiences
- Experience producing interactive data visualizations to communicate findings (i.e. Tableau, PowerBI, Google DataStudio, etc.)
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse team of scientists, analysts, field staff, and data engineers across the organization
- Ability to function effectively both independently and as part of a geographically distributed team
- Familiarity with relational databases and the ability to construct complex queries using SQL
- A keen attention to detail and a profound appreciation for and commitment to using data to tell a compelling story via data visualizations
- Master's degree preferred with a specialization in Statistics, Data Science, Health Services Research, Social Science disciplines or a related field
- Prior experience with and knowledge of statistics, demography, mathematics, data science, epidemiology, or other quantitative field
- Experience working with large publicly available datasets on public health, economics, health outcomes, and community-level indicators of wellness and equity
- Experience and interest working with diverse analytic methodologies (e.g., longitudinal data analysis, multilevel modeling, difference-in-difference, econometrics, grounded theory)
- Ability to produce markdown notebooks with Jupyter, RStudio, or similar platform
- Qualitative evaluation experience with an emphasis on NVivo or a related qualitative software (i.e. reviewing and coding)
- Mixed-methods experience and/or experience analyzing qualitative data from surveys, interviews, and focus groups
- Experience analyzing large distributed datasets using technologies like Hadoop and/or Spark
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Two writing samples (peer-reviewed journal article, technical reports, white paper, data visualization product, etc.)