The Farm Maintenance Technician performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks including but limited to rough and finish carpentry; drywall installation and repair; hardware installation and repair; painting; facilities maintenance and related tasks. The incumbent also performs a range of tasks in support of tree nursery operations such as field layout and installation; grounds maintenance; equipment maintenance; tree planting, pruning, staking and related nursery maintenance/construction tasks.
- Builds, demolishes, modifies, maintains, and repairs buildings and structures of various types
- Builds, repairs, and replaces framework, floors, roofs, walls and sidings, and/or doors; installs partitions, walls, cabinets, windows and doors, or other wooden fixtures used in buildings; erects scaffolding; builds wood structures as instructed
- Reads and understands specifications noted in blueprints, sketches, and building plans to prepare project layout and determine dimensions and necessary materials, equipment, tools, and methods
- Selects and orders lumber and other required materials and hardware
- Safely and efficiently operates a variety of woodworking machines, power and hand tools to complete jobs accurately and to specifications
- Inspects equipment to ensure proper working conditions; services tools and equipment as needed and returns damaged items for repair or replacement
- Provides status reports including the status of work projects, materials used, and hours spent performing labor to supervisor
- Performs miscellaneous tasks such as irrigation installation & maintenance, painting, fence repairs, nursery production tasks (pruning, planting, digging, others…), event set-up, etc.
- Follows standard safety precautions; adheres to operators’ instructions when using power tools and field equipment; wears recommended protective equipment such as eye and ear protection, gloves, etc.
- Promotes a safety culture by reducing hazardous conditions resulting from human error, equipment and machine operations that may lead to injury and/or property damage
- Connects people to trees
- Performs other duties as assigned
The incumbent has no direct reports.
The incumbent works primarily outside year-round in heat, cold and inclement weather and must have suitable clothing. Must be able to use equipment such as (not an exclusive list): belt sanders, chisels, drills, hammers, jacks, jigs, ladders, levels, planes, pneumatic nail drivers, power grinders, power routers, pry bars, saws and sawing machines, scaffolding, screwdrivers, staple guns, tractors, track loaders, mowers, augers, tree spades, chippers, sprayers, tillage implements, seed drills, wood splitters, stump grinders, pumps, shovels, chainsaws, line trimmers, blowers, etc.
- While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The incumbent is constantly required to use hands and fingers to feel, handle or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The incumbent is occasionally required to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and walk. The incumbent is required to lift and/or move up to 60 pounds frequently. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The physical demands and work environment described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time nonexempt position, 40 hours a week. Standard hours are Monday – Friday 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM. The incumbent must be able and willing to work evenings, weekends, and extended hours when needed
Local travel for various purposes may be required during the business day. Occasional travel out of the area for training/seminars/events, etc., requiring overnight stay may be expected.