The Fabrication Manager will be primarily responsible for operations and production at the Fabrication Facility. The candidate will be expected to maintain safety at the facility as well as maintaining quality assurance and quality control, project coordination and scheduling, procurement delivery management, and project reporting on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
The ideal candidate will not shy away from getting on the shop floor and working with their team. The individual should have a very high degree of mechanical aptitude and be able to come in and hit the ground running. This role will be very hands-on, but the candidate selected will need to understand how to properly manage a team of shop personnel.
*(The separation of duties may shift as the role develops)
- Create and maintain positive relationships with customers, contractors, suppliers, and other external and internal staff.
- Plan staffing levels for Fabrication Facility; Develop and manage a top-quality fabrication workforce through coaching and mentoring, transparent communication.
- Support and instill the Symbiont company culture that emphasizes safety, quality, and continue improvement.
- Ensure Fabrication Facility is meeting all safety requirements by managing OSHA requirements, inspections, and coordination; maintaining a clean and organized facility; managing JSA (job safety analysis) and JHA (jobsite hazard analysis); and promoting job site safety and safe work practices.
- Support the Company safety policy and verify all staff (external and internal) comply while in facility or on job site; Schedule and host Contractor/Vendor orientations, Toolbox Talks, and discuss safety plans with personnel.
- Coordinate and supervise all fabrication activities by providing oversight and direction to employees; Handle immediate rectification of all facility or job site hazards.
- Direct and document daily meetings with facility staff; Manage and/or participate in project progress meetings with project teams.
- Prepare and maintain all documentation from the Fabrication perspective regarding the project.
- Read, interpret, and follow fabrication drawings, specifications, weld symbols, bills of materials, and other written instructions or procedures to accurately fabricate equipment and products.
- Be active and engaged in fabrication activities including welding, cutting, drilling and assembly; collaborating with the project team in terms of design, constructability, scheduling and planning; work with subcontractors, vendors, and design teams regarding performance, schedule, cost control, and other relevant topics.
- Develop and maintain Weld Program which includes the WPS (Weld Procedure Specification), the PQR (Procedure Qualification Record), and Welder Continuity Logs.
- Contribute to pre-fabrication activities such as assisting the project team with estimating and planning or reviewing fabrication drawings for constructability.
- Manage QA/QC to ensure compliance with project plans and specifications by conducting frequent quality inspections and resolving any issues.
- Review project plan specifications such as essential materials and equipment, staffing needs, fabrication drawings, building specifications to properly identify appropriate scope of work for each phase of project to be delegated to project team.
- Schedule and direct sub-contractors as necessary to maintain project schedule.
- Monitor and maintain project schedule while resolving conflicts, and communicating updates in collaboration with project team, internal staff, contractors, vendors, and suppliers.
- Coordinate material and equipment deliveries to move project schedule; Maintain appropriate logs to ensure timely deliveries and submission of delivery tickets and invoices for processing, expediting when necessary.
- Maintain inventory of manufacturing products and welding consumables.
- High School Diploma or GED
- 5 to 10 years of manager experience in a manufacturing, fabrication, or similar setting
- Must have knowledge of welding processes (i.e. GTAW, GMAW, FCAW, SMAW)
- Qualified or ability to qualify to weld in accordance with ASME B31.1, ASME B31.3, and AWS D1.1
- Previous experience in a Fabrication Facility as a Welder or Pipefitter
- Competent mechanical aptitude
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, along with exemplary interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability as a critical thinker with great organization skills, and extreme attention to detail
- Highly self-motivated individual that is a quick learner, takes initiative, and can think on their feet
- Tenacious follow-up skills, and robust time management skills with the ability to prioritize while working under strict deadlines
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Valid Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record
- Can regularly lift up to 100 pounds
- Welding/Fabrication Technical Diploma or other similar formal training
- Experience with Procore, Microsoft Project, and Primavera P6
- Previous experience in a Construction enviro
Symbiont offers a competitive salary and benefits. Work hours will generally be 7am – 4pm, Monday through Friday, though occasionally, earlier or later hours may be required. Symbiont is a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Top Work Place and a Future 50 firm.
Qualified candidates should submit their contact information, resume, and cover letter via the Careers/Open Positions section of our website.
For more information about Symbiont, please visit our website at: www.symbiontonline.com
Symbiont is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a Drug Free Workplace