Responsible for the performance of duties of the Food Service Department, including assessing, planning, supervising, and coordinating the daily food service program operations of TCRHCC. Ensures all government and Joint Commission accreditation agency and other regulatory requirements governing the food service program are met. Provides effective leadership to department staff requiring food service support and performs required management functions on a timely basis. Responsible for management and supervision of purchasing, preparation, and service, as well as the safety and sanitation of the department. Knowledge of food service practices and procedures.
Primary Job Functions
- Responsible for maintaining a financially sound Food Service Program.
- Responsible for menu planning that conforms to regulatory requirements of health care industry and provide nutritional appetizing food. Oversees the publication and distribution of menus.
- Facilitate departmental improvements through the creation of positive work environment.
- Responsible for determining staffing levels, hiring and supervision of employees, employee scheduling, administering personnel policies, payroll preparation, employee contract management, and employee evaluations.
- Provides regular training for all foods service employees in the areas of food production, sanitation, infection control, safety, and other training to meet requirement standards.
- Represents the department on appropriate committees and the organization.
- Monitor food production and service to assume that planned menus are followed and that substitutions comply with menu requirements. Maintain full production records on all meals.
- Assist and oversight of processing the approval of free meals, keep accurate records, and assist in the audits and complete verification of expenses, when necessary.
- Maintains an accurate inventory of all food supplies and equipment.
- Develop procedures for properly receiving, storing, and distributing food and surplus.
- Establish standards for food preparation and service, including food quality, standardized recipes, and portion sizes, with emphasis on appeal, maximum nutrition value and flavor, efficient preparation, and service and sanitary conditions.
- Develop and administer accurate accounting procedures and records for proper control and management of money, food labor, supplies, and other costs in conjunction with the finance department and Senior Leadership council. Assists in the timely payment of vendor invoices.
- Keeps abreast of changes and developments in USDA Regulations with CSSO and/or Food Service employees.
- Provides community food service outreach through specialized food preparation for meetings, banquets, catering organization sponsored events, in accordance of the food service’s capabilities.
- Develops customer service surveys and adjusts programming to meets the customers’ needs.
- Provides leadership in assessing, planning, directing and coordinating the Food Service Program.
- Develops and manages the department budget, in concert with the corporation’s mission, vision and strategic goals to promote cost containment efforts in all areas of operations.
- Assures menu planning, purchasing specifications, requisitioning, production and service, infection control, safety and sanitation, space utilization, equipment, and investigative studies in these areas are according to the regulatory agency standards.
- Assists the Senior Leadership Council in efficiency of operations as well as the quality of service.
- Develops and updates policies and procedures for the effective and efficient management and operation of the department and in the delivery of services.
- Provides leadership in creating a team environment for effective and efficient operations.
- Develops short- and long-range strategic plans and programs consistent, with organizational policies; coordinates programs with other departments, if needed other entities.
- Assists in administering continuous quality improvement program to evaluate quality, appropriateness and effectiveness of nutritional care provided. Works in collaboration with the Senior Leadership Council to ensure completion of a critical analysis of systems and processes.
- Develops, implements, and revises employee performance standards, ensuring that they are consistent with the duties and responsibilities contained in position descriptions. Initiate actions for promotions, reassignments, status change, performance awards and disciplinary actions. Counsels employees regarding training and individual development plans.
- Assists in the coordination and collaboration with the Registered Dieticians and if need the medical providers for providing the highest quality medical nutrition therapy.
- Develops Cafeteria, Catering, and other retail and patient food service programs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- ???????Assists in the coordination of assessing the nutritional needs of the patients served by the Food Service Program and evaluating the effectiveness of the program. Makes continual adaptations to meet the varying nutritional needs of the patients served.
- Participates in various committee meetings for assuring effective communication and program development. Provides technical advice to multidisciplinary providers in the organization.
- Maintains a positive and harmonious working relationship with the hospital clinical staff.
- Ensure proper PPE is worn at all times while on duty including but not limited to, face mask, gloves, gown, isolation gown, NIOSH-approved N95 filtering facepiece respirator or higher, if available), and eye or face shield.
- Complete all donning and doffing tasks in a safe acceptable method and discard of used PPE accordingly (see CDC website for most current updates).
- Complete task training for all routine cleaning and decontamination processes for all surfaces contaminated by a communicable disease to ensure a high level of patient, visitor, employee and external customer satisfaction.
Problem solving skills will be critical to the effective performance of this job, which will provide staff and management with guidance to resolves employee issues, work on problem resolution and facilitate improvements in performance and working relationships.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a professional employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
This position requires an individual of high energy that can maintain a long and flexible schedule to meet the leadership requirements of this position. Includes long periods standing; sitting in meetings; talking or hearing; use of both hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with both hands and arms. Frequent standing and walking to reach locations in the facility; occasional push/pull; stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, bending, light carrying. Must be able to lift to 25 lbs. Must have close, distant, color, peripheral vision along with depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to hear alarms on equipment; client calls; instructions from physician/department staff; and, overhead announcements. Must be able to use prolonged repetitive motion action in both feet and both hands. Must have ability to prolonged repetitive action in both hands doing fine dexterity and simple/light grasping. Position will be able to occasionally use both hands to grasp firm/heavy items.
Uses independent judgment and analytical skills to make decisions that impact operations, finances, and customer service within the organization and to carry out all responsibilities related to this position.
Working environmental for this position may include but not all inclusive the following working conditions: Wet, humid non-weather-related conditions; working near moving mechanical parts; Fumes or airborne particles; Toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock; vibrations. Noise level in environment is typically moderate.
Provides expertise and leadership in a department of the hospital. Participates in the development of goals and objectives by providing input into the strategic process on improvements in their area of responsibility. Assures that the mission, “To provide accessible, quality, culturally sensitive healthcare”, is considered in all decision-making.
TCRHCC is located within the Navajo Nation and has implemented a Navajo/Indian Preference in Employment Policy. Pursuant to this Policy, applicants who meet the minimum qualifications for this position and who are enrolled members of the Navajo Nation or another federally recognized Indian tribe will be given preference in hiring and employment for this position.
In performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees at TCRHCC are expected to conform to the following:
- Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standards of the healthcare industry.
- Interact in an honest, trustworthy, and dependable manner with patients, employees, and vendors.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
All employees must fully uphold all principles of confidentiality and patient care. This position has access to sensitive information and a breach of these principles may be grounds for immediate termination.
I have read the qualifications and requirements for the position of Food Service Manager. To the best of my knowledge, I believe I can perform these duties.