Reporting to the Shared Services Controller, the NorthStar Associate Inventory Accountant contributes to the overall success of the Company by overseeing essential inventory and other accounting activities for NorthStar Energy’s Shared Services business units, including, but not limited to:
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for posting sales and purchase orders, reconciliations, investigation of variances, and reporting
- Identify and implement process changes to ensure accuracy of all inventory-related accounting transactions
- Process inventory transactions, including purchases, freight, transfers, and gains or losses in accordance with accounting policies and procedures
- Perform essential duties for month-end close, which includes preparing and posting journal entries, entering data into the inventory module, and reconciling daily usage reports in an accurate and efficient manner
- Analyze companies’ gross margin by fuel to determine if the margin is reasonable
- Analyze companies’ inventory and determine if the appropriate freight has been accrued to inventory
- Investigate any billing issues to ensure accurate billing, which includes posting sales order batches
- Communicate daily with customers, vendors, and colleagues regarding complex inventory transactions
- Prepare and distribute inventory reports with account and activity explanations
- Develop, implement, report and distribute inventory related KPI’s.
- Prepare monthly balance sheet account reconciliations for all inventory accounts
- Assist in the preparation and fieldwork of both internal and external audits
- Manage the inventory count process for all sites and all inventory on hand
- Reconcile general ledger accounts related to inventory, exchanges, cost of goods sold and freight
- Assist other departments on various duties such as cash postings, accounts receivable or accounts payable as time permits
- Other duties and ad hoc projects as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance or a related field with 1-3 years accounting or financial analysis experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Previous experience in inventory or a similar function preferred
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong problem solving, mathematical, and organizational skills
- Knowledge of computer systems and accounting systems (Sage preferred)
- Strong writing and communications abilities
- Excellent attention to detail
- Knowledge of inventory accounting and its relationship between accounts payable, accounts receivable, and the general ledger
- Excellent team player with strong collaboration skills
- Experience with process improvement in accounting and transactional processes
The ideal candidate demonstrates high levels of cohesion that will ultimately transpire between fellow colleagues and customers; demonstrates a strong level of commitment and personal agency that will create positive outcomes across the Company; and has the courage to do the right thing in all circumstances.