We are in need of drivers with a passion to serve the community. BATA plays a pivotal role in our community, connecting people to their jobs, grocery shopping, medical appts, and so much more. If you are looking for a job that is meaningful and impactful, this is the job for you.
$17.00/hr Starting Wage
$1,000 Hiring Incentive!
Weekend Shift Differential.
PAID CDL TRAINING
BAY AREA TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY
PUBLIC TRANSIT BUS OPERATOR
Supervised By: Operations Manager
Supervises: No Supervisory Responsibility
Under the direct supervision of the Operations Manager, operates a variety of vehicles in the transport of passengers. Responsible for the care, welfare, safety, and security of passengers and the vehicle.
Essential Job Functions:
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties, which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Conducts pre-trip safety and maintenance inspections of vehicle(s). Records and reports vehicle maintenance needs to Fleet & Facilities Manager for repair. Inspects and maintains vehicle’s interior and exterior for cleanliness and performs duties associated with maintaining vehicle. Performs other vehicle cleaning activities as assigned.
- Proficient in the proper use and maintenance of all vehicles and vehicle equipment within BATA’s fleet.
- Proficient in the use and operation of communication equipment.
- Receives and records fares, tokens, or transfer tickets from passengers. Assures the security and accuracy of such.
- Operates vehicle in an efficient and safe manner, complies with traffic regulations/laws, and safely drives within weather, road, and lighting conditions.
- Assists mobility disabled passengers on/off the vehicle. Securely fastens wheelchairs and other mobility devices to securement systems on board vehicle. Assists ambulatory passengers on/off the vehicle as needed.
- Records total passenger, mileage, hours, fares, and other data on daily ride sheets. Exchanges fare box vaults.
- Pick up and deliver freight from point to point as required.
- Maintains a comprehensive knowledge of transportation resources, service geography and road conditions. Receives and disseminates information regarding traffic accidents, delays, breakdowns, and such to other drivers and transportation service coordinators.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to sit for prolonged periods of time without restroom breaks or to stretch and move. The employee must be mobile to stand, walk, regularly and continuously step up and down from vehicle steps (heights of up to 18”), stoop, and kneel. Use of hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. Operates manual and electric mobility device lifts as well as vehicle passenger service doors requiring upper body strength and agility. The employee must be able to lift a maximum of 40 pounds with the exception of being able to operate the manual lift with hand tool which could exceed 40 pounds per square inch, carry, and move items of moderate to heavy weight. Vision required in this job includes close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception and adjusting focus.
The typical work environment includes all kinds of weather in all seasons, regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, vibration, fumes from exhaust, and chemicals associated with vehicle cleaning. The noise level is usually moderate to loud.
FLSA – Hourly
January, 2010 Revised-Maximum lifting capacity & hand lift operation
Pay associated with work will range from $17.00 to $20.47 for assigned duties based on experience.