|As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
Los Angeles, Remote for the right candidate
CPE seeks a dynamic and creative professional to serve as the Assistant Director of Development, reporting to the Senior Director of Development. This individual will serve as part of a growing team that is committed to expanding philanthropic support at the nation's premier organization focused on the transformative impact of data-driven interventions in public safety.
Our vision for the position is that the Assistant Director of Development will manage the department's operational work - ensuring that team members' individual work is aligned to the goals of the department and the department has adequate resources, systems, and metrics for achieving its goals. As the team and the organization are growing quickly, the Assistant Director of Development is also expected to support and participate in donor/prospect engagement, including donor communications, production of cultivation events (e.g., virtual, informal gatherings, and large-scale events), and managing & building internal fundraising processes as we continue to expand operations.
If you have experience in nonprofit development and a commitment to racial justice, we encourage you to apply.
- Partner with the Senior Director to set priorities and goals for the department.
- Manage operations for the development team, including coordination with the team's Project Manager to set time and task management, data oversight, and budgeting.
- Achieve monthly targets on donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities and keep accurate engagement records.
- Supervise development team members focused on foundation/corporate giving and events.
- Manage development-related communications efforts, including quarterly newsletter development, acknowledgements to donors, and bi-annual funder reports.
- Coordinate direct marketing efforts, including multiple direct mail/email appeals annually and digital communication to donors and prospects.
- Oversee CPE's grants calendar, including proposal and status report deadlines and serve as liaison to contract grant writer.
- Manage, cultivate, solicit, and steward a small portfolio of HNWI donors and prospects.
- Build out programs and events as a member of the development team.
- Lead planning for CPE's special events, and virtual events (until we hire an events manager).
- Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of six years professional fundraising experience, preferably in a think tank or data-focused advocacy organization is a plus.
- Significant experience managing staff, including setting departmental and individual goals, ensuring clear lines of communications and processes, and demonstrating results.
- Experience developing and maintaining productive working relationships with donors, volunteers, and program and administrative staff.
- Experience with database platforms (Salsa and/or Salesforce CRM software a plus.)
- Excellent interpersonal and oral/written communication skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate with individuals from different backgrounds and disciplines.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Comfort with managing up and communicating your ideas and recommendations clearly and convincingly.
- Strong analytical skills (e.g., proficiency with Excel) and the ability to offer both creative and data-driven solutions
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
- Supplementary application materials that you believe to be relevant