|As a research and action organization, Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying and reducing the causes of racial disparities in public safety. Using data-driven approaches to social justice, we use science to create levers for social, cultural, and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
New York, New Haven, DC metro areas preferred (remote considered for the right candidate)
CPE is looking for a skilled Program Manager with a passion for social justice. The Program Manager will leverage their background in project management, risk management, and change management to support CPE’s Community & Legislative Engagement programs. In particular, the Program Manager is charged with helping these teams: develop and socialize programmatic roadmaps and clear project plans; drive operational efficiency and effective communication strategy; and build cohesion and collaboration across diverse, geographically distributed teams. This position also serves as a point of contact for several internal and external stakeholders.
This role reports to the Portfolio Manager for Field Engagement, and collaborates closely with the leaders of Community and Legislative Engagement at CPE: the Vice President of Community and Legislative Engagement, the Senior Director of Legislative Engagement, and the Senior Director of Community Engagement.
About CPE’s Community & Legislative Engagement Programs
Ending racial bias in policing and redesigning public safety demands a broad community response. The Community Engagement team at CPE is responsible for reflecting and elevating the voices of non-law enforcement stakeholders (especially Black communities) in the effort to end racial bias in policing. We do so by incorporating the community perspective into CPE’s reform work, and by sharing CPE’s data, research, and advocacy resources with community members working to change police practices in their cities.
The Legislative Engagement team is responsible for developing and executing policy campaigns on the organization’s public safety policy and partnership priorities; building, resourcing, and maintaining strategic alliances with engaged and influential federal, state, and local policymaking officials.
About the Program Management Office
CPE recognizes project management as a core function of the organization; in 2019, we established a Program Management Office (PMO) to evolve, promote, and enforce CPE’s standards for project management. The PMO itself is a centralized team of project management professionals throughout the organization to provide PM support to their assigned division -- so the Community & Legislative Engagement Program Manager is situated within the PMO and supported by a team of professionals of the same discipline, but most of their active time is spent in direct collaboration with the members of the CE & LE programs.
- Project Management: Plan and manage multiple related projects of varying scope/complexity while meeting deadlines
- Risk Management: Proactively identify risks to the program’s success, and work with teams and org leadership to mitigate these risks before they materialize
- Stakeholder Engagement: Clear communication and distillation of complex ideas into easy-to-understand language, for diverse audiences including org executives, junior staff, and external partners
- Process Evolution and Change Management: Work with the PMO to develop, enforce, and improve established processes, tools, standards, and documentation needed to successfully execute strategic initiatives across the program and the org as a whole, leveraging your ability to “connect the dots” between your team’s work and other programs’ goals and organizational priorities
- Team Leadership: Collaborate with the VP of LEI (who serves as the supervisor of this program and owns the team’s programmatic roadmap) to ensure the team has clarity of purpose, alignment on scope, efficient and transparent processes, and the resourcing/tooling it needs to execute on the VP of LEI’s vision for the team
- Personnel Management: This role will have at least one direct report (the Project Manager for Community Engagement), who will help with day-to-day project management and task planning for the CE team. The Program Manager will be expected to provide coaching, supervision, professional development, and other traditional management support to the Project Manager and any future direct reports.
- Bachelor's degree / 5+ years of Project or Program Management experience
- Demonstrated experience with a variety of project management methodologies and tools
- Ability to quickly adapt and apply new project management tools and processes to a growing organization
- Fluency in racial justice work, particularly around racial equity as it relates to public safety
- Familiarity with the systems and mechanisms that drive public policy at the local, state, and/or federal level
- Exceedingly strong communication skills (both written and verbal), with a passion for distilling complex ideas into language that is easy to understand
- Be a strong team player, assisting the overall team and peers to achieve success