JOB SUMMARY: Responsible to perform a variety of activities and services necessary to meet the needs and comforts of the residents including cleaning, meal service, personal laundry, and resident support services. (Age Specific Competency): A Homemaker must demonstrate competency in interacting with the resident population of Holton Manor. For purposes of this Age-Specific competency, the majority of the resident population is defined as Geriatric (65 years of age or older)
1. Maintains sanitation standards in all household areas. Hair nets are to be worn in the kitchen area at all times. Plastic gloves must be worn while serving food.
2. Prepares and assists with the set-up, clean-up and service of hot and cold beverages, meals, desserts and nourishments according to procedures as outlined in the household manual.
3. Assists residents during meal times within the scope of training.
4. Maintains a basic knowledge of diets, portion sizes and meal intake documenting process. Light food preparation is a duty of this position, i.e. waffles eggs etc.
5. Notifies nurse or diet technician when a resident indicates a desire to alter meal or snack preference.
6. Uses proper food labeling and food storage procedures for both refrigerated and dry goods. Dates and labels leftovers, rotates food stock per established standards.
7. Receives and stores food items and supplies assuring all refrigerated and frozen items are placed in the refrigerator or freezer immediately after receipt or use.
8. Observes all safety rules to protect residents, visitors and co-workers from known or predictable kitchen/household hazards.
9. Maintains daily household records including but not limited to refrigerator and freezer temperature logs, dishwasher temperature logs, food temperature logs and cleaning and supply logs.
10. Welcomes new residents during the move in process, making every effort with the rest of the care team to learn as much as possible about the resident’s habits, customs, routines and preferences.
11. Informs the unit manager, RN or LPN or designee of resident’s problems, needs or concerns.
12. Pagers must be worn during your whole shift. Answer call lights and assist with residents requests within the scope of training.
13. Encourages socialization and involvement of residents in daily activities through one on one inter actions and small group activities as well as supporting family and visitor involvement.
14. Assists with taking resident to and from activities and appointments. May push wheelchairs and/or walk with independent residents.
15. Responsible for safe work practices. Complies with all safety regulations and policies.
16. Participates with room cleanliness and organization, changing bed linens, cleaning floors, emptying trash, dusting and doing laundry according to procedures as outlined in the household manual
17. Restocks linen carts, food related supplies, cleaning supplies and resident personal supplies.
18. Actively participates as a member of the team, household and neighborhood in improving quality of care/service.
19. Participates in resident plan of care by providing input regarding resident needs and preferences.
20. Maintains confidentiality of all pertinent facility, staff and resident care information.
21. Participates in in-service education classes, on the job training programs and household meetings as required.
22. You may eat in the dining room, but you must be seated with a resident. There is to be NO food consumption in the kitchen area at any time.
OTHER RELATED COMPETENCIES:
1. Performs other duties following instructions and under the direction of the household coordinator.
2. Works in collaboration with other team members within the household to ensure that all duties are complete and needs of the residents met.
Works in household setting with residents, staff, animals, plants, families and children. Stands and walks short distances most of the day. Lifts, pushes, carries and moves items and equipment. Must be able to lift 35 pounds and push up to 250 pounds, works rotating shifts and must share weekend and holiday work.
Sense of responsibility, personal integrity and common sense. A sincere desire to work with the elderly. A team player, willing to assist co-workers in caring for the needs of the residents and fellow staff members. Patience and compassion is essential. Must be pleasant, cheerful, tactful and courteous in dealing with all people, residents, families, staff and volunteers. Level headed and calm in emergencies, Neat in appearance and abides with dress codes.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned.