ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY
**SIGN-ON BONUS** $1,500
STARTING HOURLY RATE: $18 - $27 *DOE
This position will provide services in the Ambulatory Care Department as assigned. The incumbent will work under the supervision of a Licensed Independent Practitioner (e.g. physician, dentist, and nurse practitioner). Medical assistants perform a broad range of administrative and clinical duties to facilitate the work of the Licensed Independent Practitioner (LIP). Certified Medical Assistant will be responsible for gathering necessary vital signs from patients, prepare and send laboratory specimens for routine tests, sets up and cleans examination room, maintains supply stock in between exams, and record data under direct supervision of the provider or LIP.
- Assists with direct patient care procedures and related tasks; checks patients in, assists in obtaining patient histories, takes vital signs, prepares records and assists with medical examinations. Responsible for obtaining and recording (into the electronic health record) patient information as assigned per policy (i.e., vital signs, height, weight, etc.).
- Provides care to assigned patients under the direction of a LIP in accordance with established policy. Provides basic care to patients with a variety of conditions, illnesses and/or injuries (i.e. apply and remove dressings, slings, braces, apply heat and cold packs; assist patient in ambulation, transferring, positioning, etc.).
- Assist the LIP in examination of patients by explaining procedures, positioning, draping and assembling instruments and supplies.
- Performs the following procedures, after approved specific formal training and completion of required competencies. Any required specific training and competency testing required for the procedures in an ambulatory setting will be completed in addition to standard outpatient service training:
- Performs waived testing (e.g., glucometer testing, rapid strep testing and colorimetric urinalysis) and records the results in compliance with regulations/standards. Complies with the laboratory requirements (i.e., CLIA, Joint Commission) for quality control of waived testing for accuracy and record keeping.
- Obtains bacteriologic specimens such as clean-catch urine specimens and topical cultures. Assists with incision and drainage procedures.
- Performs less complex dressings and treatments without assistance. Assist with cleaning, irrigating, and dressing complex wounds.
- Prepare and administer medication as directed by the LIP. Administer injections – IM (intermuscular), SQ (Subcutaneous), and ID (Intradermal).
- Instruct patients in proper collection of urine samples. Prepares samples for analysis (e.g., labels specimen tubes). Routes requisition forms to consultative services, dietary, laboratory and radiology.
- Shares the responsibility for reporting observations by observing the patient’s conditions and reactions, and by keeping the provider informed of changes in clinical condition.
- Schedules and monitors patient appointments; may coordinate routine office like activities and administrative functions with supplemental staff of the clinic. Shares the responsibility of maintenance of clinical records. Utilize established software to data enter immunizations, follow-up on laboratory and radiological exams, or other computer functions as required by mobile clinical services or outpatient department.
- Educates and advises patients on specified medical issues within established parameters. Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods. Prepares any patient related documentation for the provider or patient.
- Maintains a courteous and professional manner in contact with patients, family, and other clients. Assists in answering telephones and supplying routine information per policy.
- Performs general non-direct patient care duties at the site-based clinics including cleaning, arranging, and restocking supply cabinets from supplies; cleaning and sorting supplies, instruments and equipment; calling attention to deficiencies in supplies and equipment; cleaning refrigerators and assisting with maintenance of temperature logs; and maintains a clean and safe patient environment.
- Participates in performance improvement activities and data management responsibilities. Fosters a collaborative environment, using a team approach to share ideas and to promote safe, patient centered care.
- May be required to work additional hours to maintain patient care. Floats to other clinics to meet patient care needs during staffing shortages.
- Ensure proper PPE is worn at all times while on duty including but not limited to, face mask, gloves, gown, isolation gown, NIOSH-approved N95 filtering facepiece respirator or higher, if available), and eye or face shield.
- Complete all donning and doffing tasks in a safe acceptable method and discard of used PPE accordingly. (see CDC website for most current updates)
- Completes all electronic health record entries accurately and timely pertinent to patient care role.
- Participates in departmental workflow and or testing teams as related to electronic health record or other project initiatives.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Demonstrate independent problem solving regarding medical assistant and clerical tasks. Previous experience will help to guide degree to which incumbent would be expected to troubleshoot clinic related concerns.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work requires prolong periods of standing, walking, sitting, bending, talking or hearing and reaching with hands and arms. This position requires extended use of hands to finger, handling and feeling as well as intermittent pushing/pulling, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. Agility and ability to lift up to 25 pounds of heavy and/or disabled patients for an extended period of time. Must also be able to hear alarms on equipment, client calls and instructions from physician and or department staff. Must have close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. This position also requires prolonged repetitive motion of both feet, both hands, grasping with simple/light and firm/heavy as well as fine dexterity.
Must be able to prioritize and use good judgment; must be able to coordinate a variety of issues while being frequently interrupted.
This job may have intermittent exposure to outdoor weather conditions and exposure to infectious diseases. The typical noise level for this position is moderate.
This position has a very high impact on the quality of treatment of patients. Inaccurate procedures result in risk management intervention.
TCRHCC is located within the Navajo Nation and, in accordance with Navajo Nation law, has implemented a Navajo/Indian Preference in Employment Policy. Pursuant to this Policy, applicants who are enrolled members of the Navajo Nation and who meet the necessary qualifications for this position will be given preference in hiring and employment for this position and applicants who are enrolled members of any other tribe who meet the necessary qualifications will be given secondary preference.
In performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees at TCRHCC are expected to conform to the following:
- Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standards of the healthcare industry.
- Interact in an honest, trustworthy and dependable manner with patients, employees and vendors.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
All employees must uphold all principles of confidentiality and patient care to the fullest extent. This position has access to sensitive information and a breach of these principles may be grounds for immediate termination. I have read the qualifications and requirements for the position of Certified Medical Assistant (CMA). To the best of my knowledge, I believe I can perform these duties.