This is a position located at the Sacred Peaks Health Center located in Flagstaff, Arizona. The Phlebotomy Technician performs specimen collection and processing in compliance with regulatory requirements, policy and procedures, and the TCRHCC’s goal of providing quality patient care.
- Follows the established policy, processes and procedures for specimen collection, handling and processing, and maintaining records of patient results.
- Successfully performs phlebotomy on a range of patients including, neonates, special needs and geriatric patients.
- Specimen processing and preparation including reference laboratory specimen preparation and shipping.
- Performs basic point of care testing (i.e., influenza testing, pregnancy testing, etc.) under the general supervision of certified testing personnel. Performs and documents Corrective Actions when test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable level of performance.
- Adheres to the Quality Control policies and documenting all Quality Control activities when performing point of care test analysis.
- Performs proficiency testing for point of care testing and document attestation that proficiency testing samples are tested according to protocol(s); to determine the performance of individual laboratories for specific tests and to monitor laboratories’ continuing performance.
- Maintains inventory control to assure adequate supplies and reagents needed for laboratory operation(s).
- Actively participates in the maintenance of Laboratory Accreditation by adhering to standards in safety, performance improvement, document control, quality assurance, proficiency and competency.
- Develops and maintains working relationship with the Medical and Nursing staff regarding the processing and collection of specimens.
- Participates in Continuing Education by attending department meetings and in-services. Must participate in one-webinar/education session per year of laboratory related interest.
- Responsible for electronic health records data entry pertinent to patient service role.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned including clerical duties.
The Phlebotomy Technician must have the ability to independently identify problems that may adversely affect specimen collection and handling and correct the problem or notify the appropriate supervisor. Incumbent will be part of the team responsible for solving highly complex diagnostic problems.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work requires long periods of regular and recurring standing, walking, bending, and lifting of objects up to 30 lbs; may be required to work additional hours to maintain patient care.
Must be able to prioritize and use good judgment. Immediate response to telephone requests, verbal requests. Mental attention and assertiveness are required at all times. The ability and willingness to learn new information is an expectation.
Phlebotomy Technicians play a vital role in the treatment and prevention of disease by providing supporting evidence for provider diagnosis.
TCRHCC is located within the Navajo Nation and has implemented a Navajo/Indian Preference in Employment Policy. Pursuant to this Policy, applicants who meet the minimum qualifications for this position and who are enrolled members of the Navajo Nation or another federally-recognized Indian tribe will be given preference in hiring and employment for this position.
In performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees at TCRHCC are expected to conform to the following:
- Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standards of the healthcare indu
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Completion of a nationally accredited phlebotomy training program
Unrestricted Phlebotomy technician certificate from a nationally recognized certification agency
- Two (2) years phlebotomy work experience in which collections were obtained from a wide range of age groups (neonate to geriatric) in a healthcare setting
- Verifiable skill completion documented within the last year of fifty (50) successful venipuncture’s
Other Skills and Abilities:
A record of satisfactory performance in all prior and current employment as evidenced by positive employment references from previous and current employers. All employment references must address and indicate success in each one of the following areas:
- Positive working relationships with others
- Possession of high ethical standards and no history of complaints
- Reliable and dependable; reports to work as scheduled without excessive absences
- Effective communication skills to deal effectively with all levels of co-workers
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and exhibit attention to detail
- Works with minimal supervision, manages own time effectively, maintains control over all current responsibilities. Follows up on all relevant issues.
- Able to respond appropriately in stressful situations
- Basic computer skills and literacy for communication, records, forms, and ordering
Other Skills and Abilities:
Ability to speak Navajo