The purpose of this position is to provide maintenance of environmental Infection Control with acceptable levels of bacteriological, as well as visual cleanliness throughout the hospital. Work hours are 24 hour coverage rotational, day or night shifts, weekends, holidays and occasionally overtime.
- Disinfects patient rooms, bathrooms, offices, hallways, and other assigned areas daily to prevent cross contamination.
- Scrubs and disinfects commodes, urinals, washstands and fixtures, mirrors, soap & paper towel dispensers daily.
- Cleans venetian blinds, washes walls, windows and glass partitions, and other assigned areas.
- Vacuums, dust mops, mop floors, polish and buffs floors daily. May strip and wax floors as necessary or as directed by immediate Supervisor.
- Replenishes paper supplies and liquid soap in dispensers daily.
- Disinfects room thoroughly after patient has been discharged. Special cleaning after isolation and deceased patients are discharged using proper antiseptic techniques.
- Maintains OB unit as directed. Will complete other duties as assigned by unit supervisor or person in charge.
- Cleans and disinfects aseptic the OR suites and unit as directed. Will complete other duties assigned while in the OR, as directed by supervisor or person in charge.
- Maintains Emergency Room (ER) department 24 hours / 365 days a year. ER will be disinfected meticulously and may be assigned other duties in an event of an emergency.
- Receives hospital clean linen deliveries; maintains a system of linen control and distribution; delivers clean linen to in-patients areas as requisitioned; and may label new linen with heat stamper or sew by using industrial sewing machine.
- Collects soiled linen, regular waste, Bio-hazardous waste and Chemo waste, and delivers to appropriate area.
- Maintains and disinfects comfort care rooms in the hospital, as directed by nursing staff.
- Maintains and disinfects hospital morgue, including patient trays. On occasion assist nurse supervisor, security, and mortuary personnel in placing or removing patients from Morgue trays.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Must be able to set priorities and manage work within time frames, assisting in resolution of time management. Ascertain what isolation procedures to resolve immediate issues as necessary. Understands risk and consequences of exposure to contagious disease, radiation, or infections.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires standing and walking for long periods of time, bending, reaching, and on occasions lifting 20 lbs to 50 lbs. Moderate heavy physical effort is required continuously in performance of manual cleaning tasks.
Must be able to prioritize and use good judgment. Must be flexible as schedule changes and high demands verbally requested in assigned areas, need to be met.
TCRHCC is located within the Navajo Nation and, in accordance with Navajo Nation law, has implemented a Navajo/Indian Preference in Employment Policy. Pursuant to this Policy, applicants who are enrolled members of the Navajo Nation and who meet the necessary qualifications for this position will be given preference in hiring and employment for this position and applicants who are enrolled members of any other tribe who meet the necessary qualifications will be given secondary preference.
In performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees at TCRHCC are expected to conform to the following:
- Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standards of the healthcare industry.
- Interact in an honest, trustworthy and dependable manner with patients, employees and vendors.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
All employees must uphold all principles of confidentiality and patient care to the fullest extent. This position has access to sensitive information and a breach of these principles may be grounds for immediate termination.
I have read the qualifications and requirements for the position of Environmental Services Technician. To the best of my knowledge, I believe I can perform these duties.
High School Diploma or GED equivalency or must obtain GED within 6 months from date of hire
- Minimum 3-months experience of general housekeeping duties in a daycare, school, food service, healthcare, production and/or manufacturing setting, which meet infection control standards designed to yield safe and in some places asepsis environment
- Demonstrated experience in the use of buffers, high-speed buffers, scrubbers, vacuums, etc and knowledge of floor care procedures and upkeep.
- Demonstrated experience in safe chemical usage; understanding the standards and precautions of infection control
Other Skills and Abilities:
A record of satisfactory performance in all prior and current employment as evidenced by positive employment references from previous and current employers. All employment references must address and indicate success in each one of the following areas:
- Positive working relationships with others
- Possession of high ethical standards and no history of complaints
- Reliable and dependable; reports to work as scheduled without excessive absences.
- Proper techniques for protecting self and patients from pathogenic agents
- Must have the ability to read, write, understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Must be able to work with little or no supervision.
- Must have a current valid driver’s license without restrictions and maintained throughout employment.
- Two (2) year experience in specialized cleaning in a health care environment
- Certificates of training in various aspects of housekeeping work.
Other Preferred Skills and Abilities:
Ability to speak Navajo