The Clinical Educator assesses, plans, develops, implements, facilitates, evaluates and revises educational programming for all levels of nursing personnel and non-nursing personnel as indicated or requested. The incumbent acts as a key resource in the orientation and continuing education of clinical staff at Tuba City Regional Health Care Corporation (TCRHCC). The Clinical Educator implements a comprehensive education program for his/her assigned units and clinics or areas. Educational programs typically include, but are not limited to orientation, continuing education and in-services. Other services may include, process, performance and service-delivery consultation and contributions to the organization through ad-hoc or permanently established councils, committees and workgroups. Incumbent must utilize cultural sensitivity and maintain knowledge of cultural practices and beliefs.
- Develops and utilizes a plan for clinical orientation while assessing the competency and areas requiring additional education. Addresses TCRHCC policies and procedures, accrediting and regulatory requirements in conjunction with Human Resources (HR).
- Collects and assesses data and information related to education needs and other pertinent situations, including identification of trends, issues and supporting data to determine a comprehensive education program for assigned units/clinics including classroom, clinical experiences and learning technologies. This is also attained by rounding all areas.
- Collaborates with department heads, administration, and other disciplines in the assessment, planning, development and implementation of educational programs to promote a climate which supports learning and open communication; identifies the appropriate delivery, including materials to be used for instruction.
- Plans, develops, and evaluates the preceptor program to enhance the orientation process and the retention of staff. Provides leadership to preceptors and serves as a role model through educational programs and ongoing coaching and mentoring.
- Conducts, redefines, and assists in the design and implementation of clinical core competencies that address the needs of clinical patient care.
- Assists all departments in meeting their educational objectives by facilitating dissemination of information via LMS (Brainshark).
- Teaches and coordinates classes such as the American Heart Courses (i.e. BLS, ACLS, PALS), and courses developed by other regulatory and professional associations (i.e. BFHI, TNCC). Coordinates educational activities with approved external resources (i.e. consultants, specialist).
- Assists Clinical Education in maintaining all records according to the American Heart Association, the Arizona State Board of Nursing standards and other accrediting or regulatory agencies.
- Participates on committees, task forces, and projects relevant to improving clinical practice through education.
- Assists in the development of the annual nursing mandatories; including implementation of annual hospital skill fair.
- Assists in preparing the monthly activity calendar of educational events. Advertises and promotes clinical educational opportunities both within and outside the organization.
- Collaborates with the clinical informatics team in coordinating training of the electronic health records (EHR) to all clinical staff, including orientation of new staff to the E.H.R., and on-going training related to upgrades and new version roll-outs.
- Stays current with clinical practice and knowledgebase regularly through web-based studies, networking, or hands-on clinical work.
- Engages as an educator in area of clinical specialty on a local, state, or national level to determine trends in clinical education, practice and regulation affecting RN’s, CMA’s and CNAs among other specialties.
- Provide educational updates on clinical applications through classroom sessions, 1:1 instruction, LMS didactics and remote technology (i.e., Zoom, Microsoft teams).
- Acquires understanding of clinical workflows and incorporates that knowledge on training end-users.
- Coordinates training programs within TCRHCC campus and all satellite and mobile clinics, to achieve and reinforce organizational goals.
- Anticipates and expedites onboarding of all staff under emergent circumstances.
- Participates in pre-planning and on-site support activities associated with the onboarding of new medical and mid-level providers.
- Promotes and cultivates positive relationships with academic programs to foster positive image and relationships with TCRHCC. Is accessible to and supportive of undergraduate and graduate nursing students and faculty from affiliating schools of nursing
- Develops a thorough understanding of the EHR applications with the intent of instructing end users.
- Collaborates with the Clinical Informatics team for further upgrades and new version roll-outs support.
- Corresponds with end-users, Information services or other clinical system administrators as support in resolving EHR or computer related issues, which may include the submission and/or tracking of service tickets and enhancements.
- Assists clinicians and Information Service team members to develop strategies, policies or procedures for introducing, evaluating and/or modifying information technology applied to clinical practice and education.
- Collaborates with Health Information Management (HIM), to ensure that training material is consistent with clinical documentation standards and best practice.
- Responsible for electronic health records data entry pertinent to patient service role.
- Performs other related duties as assigned including identifying and participating in quality improvement activities.
- Clinical Duties as assigned including but not limited to Preceptorship.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL EFFORT
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is mostly sedentary. Although a sedentary job is defined as one, which involves sitting, a certain amount of walking and standing is often necessary in carrying out job duties; such as rounding and delivering content to different areas of the campus. Incumbent must be able to lift and move “patients” in educational classes. Must be able to lift and move audio-visual equipment as necessary. Acuity of vision and hearing is essential.
Must be able to:
- Prioritize and use good judgment.
- Coordinate and address a variety of issues while being frequently interrupted.
- Adjust to impromptu shifts in workflow.
The position has demonstrable effects on the efficiency, accuracy, and effectiveness of quality clinical practice. The position has a major impact in the on the rapid onboarding of staff during emergent situations. The facility relies on the onboarding process in order to maintain operations. The position has proven that when working collaboratively with other healthcare professionals, we are able to promote better disease management and higher standards of clinical patient care.
TCRHCC is located within the Navajo Nation and, in accordance with Navajo Nation law, has implemented a Navajo/Indian Preference in Employment Policy. Pursuant to this Policy, applicants who are enrolled members of the Navajo Nation and who meet the necessary qualifications for this position will be given preference in hiring and employment for this position and applicants who are enrolled members of any other tribe who meet the necessary qualifications will be given secondary preference.
In performance of their respective tasks and duties, all employees at TCRHCC are expected to conform to the following:
- Adhere to all professional and ethical behavior standards of the healthcare industry.
- Interact in an honest, trustworthy and dependable manner with patients, employees and vendors.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity.
All employees must uphold all principles of confidentiality and patient care to the fullest extent. This position has access to sensitive information and a breach of these principles may be grounds for immediate termination.
I have read the qualifications and requirements for the position of Clinical Educator I. To the best of my knowledge, I believe I can perform these duties.
Associate Degree in Nursing or Healthcare related Sciences.
- Must have two (2) years of recent clinical and operational experience working in acute or ambulatory care in a healthcare institution or, teaching, training the adult learner or, using an electronic health record at the intermediate or expert level.
- or two (2) years of experience teaching and/or training the adult learner,
- or two (2) years of experience with using an electronic health record at the intermediate or expert level.
A valid, current, full and unrestricted Professional Nursing License to practice nursing in any state of the United States of America, The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States if applicable.
Must have and maintain a current, valid Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider certification from the American Heart Association (AHA).
Other Skills and Abilities:
A record of satisfactory performance in all prior and current employment as evidenced by positive employment references from previous and current employers. All employment references must address and indicate success in each one of the following areas:
- Positive working relationships with others and proven record of excellent customer service and teamwork
- Possession of high ethical standards and no history of complaints
- Reliable and dependable; reports to work as scheduled without excessive absences
- High level of interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with hospital staff and patients as well as outside sources
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to convey complex concepts clearly and effectively
- Maintain flexibility when managing multiple roles and responsibilities
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, essential functions of a Learning Management System (LMS)
- Solid experience working with all levels of management; ability to provide effective individualize coaching
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to communicate professionally both verbal and written
- Possess strong current, clinical knowledge-based skill level
- Willing to work a flexible work schedule that accommodates the clinical end-user’s availability
- Demonstrate good problem-solving skills related to end user descriptive of an issue
Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or Healthcare Sciences
Two (2) years of Clinical Education experience in an Acute Care Hospital and four (4) years of experience providing direct patient care in an Acute Inpatient Hospital.
Certification as a Healthcare Educator