|The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying the causes of racial disparities in law enforcement and advocates for large-scale and meaningful change. Using evidence-based approaches to social justice, we use data to create levers for social, cultural and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
Denver preferred; L.A.; Salt Lake City; New York; D.C.; Remote/Flexible for the right candidate
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) is looking for an attorney with strong policy analysis skills to serve as the COMPSTAT for Justice (C4J) Policy Associate. C4J is a new initiative aimed at providing statistical analyses and change management support to law enforcement agencies (LEAs) seeking to reduce racial disparities in policing outcomes.
In this role, the Policy Associate will use CPE's needs assessment analysis plan to conduct reviews of internal law enforcement policies and propose recommendations to promote racial equity in law enforcement outcomes such as stops, searches, and use of force. The Policy Associate will work closely and collaboratively with the interdisciplinary C4J team, providing consultation, thought partnership, and research assistance on policy issues that may inform quantitative analytic work and change management consultation led by other team members.
This position will report to the Senior Director of C4J.
- Conduct expedited policy reviews for C4J agencies as part of a larger 'Needs Assessment' process.
- Develop concrete, actionable policy recommendations to C4J agencies, to be shared publicly.
- Identify federal and state laws and legal precedents that may inform or constrain the public safety recommendations developed by the C4J team.
- Build working knowledge of behavioral science research on racial discrimination and leverage that knowledge to identify policy risks for inequitable policing practices.
- Consult with other members of the interdisciplinary C4J team on policy context that may affect their work
- Review statistical analyses conducted by other team members to identify patterns and findings that should be targeted for intervention or flagged for further investigation.
- Offer policy insights as the C4J team and LEA work together to develop and implement the strategic plan for improvement of policing outcomes.
- Work closely with the Director of Policy for Data Driven Interventions and other CPE employees working on policy issues to ensure alignment of C4J policy work with the policy priorities of the Justice Initiatives portfolio and the broader organization.
- Work with the Director of Policy for Data Driven Interventions to recommend and implement iterative improvements to policy-related aspects of C4J over time.
- Law degree required
- 3+ years of professional experience in civil rights law, criminal law, law enforcement oversight, or related field
- Experience analyzing, drafting, and/or revising written policies
- Ability to understand, interpret, and glean actionable insight from data analyses conducted by others
- Ability to collaborate effectively with quantitative researchers or analysts
- Familiarity with legal and social science scholarship on policing and racial bias preferred
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to quickly adapt to a growing organization
- Passionate about social and racial justice issues
- Passionate about inclusion, diversity, and racial equity
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit the following materials: