|The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) produces analyses identifying the causes of racial disparities in law enforcement and advocates for large-scale and meaningful change. Using evidence-based approaches to social justice, we use data to create levers for social, cultural and policy change.
We are research scientists, race and equity experts, data virtuosos, and community trainers. We use data to build a more fair and just system. We partner with law enforcement and communities. Our aim is to bridge the divide of communication, generational mistrust, and suffering. But most of all, we are the path that science can forge towards public safety, community trust, and racial equity.
Location: Flexible for the right candidate
The Center for Policing Equity (CPE) is looking for a candidate with command-level experience in a university/campus police agency to serve as a Relationship Manager (RM).
Relationship Managers serve as each law enforcement agency’s (LEA) guide through the entire post-recruitment process, from intake to delivery of products and services. Acting as CPE’s main point of contact with each law enforcement agency, RMs provide high-quality, high-touch service.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a firm understanding of day-to-day operations and nuances of working in a university environment with a governing body from academia.
The Relationship Manager reports to the Director of Law Enforcement Initiatives.
- Ensure University / Campus LEA partners make sense of their data-driven intervention results (e.g., guide the Chief and the executive team thoroughly understand the report and discuss how improvements can and should be made)
- Assist the Chief with change management for command staff, line officers, and others
- Support Chiefs during the rollout process. In addition to managing change, this includes providing guidance on how to highlight results, how to engage with the community, and how to approach government stakeholders.
- Focus on establishing trust, credibility as experts, and the need for action to bring about tangible reform.
- Communicate patterns in feedback from our LEA partners back to the JI Portfolio
- Oversee intake and “orientation” of new LEAs and support our LEAs in implementing recommendations and guiding the LEA through critical self-analysis.
- Lead the LEA through CPE’s measurement and evaluation process.
- Direct the successful and continuous engagement of the LEA partners assigned to them. Request additional data to receive future data-driven interventions that show change over time.
- Educate NJD partners about the benefits of C4J and guiding NJD partners through the necessary preparation in order to be accepted into C4J
- Fluency in law enforcement issues and perspectives; strong preference for candidates with former middle or command-level experience at a university / campus agency
- Demonstrated knowledge of the nuances that set university / campus LEAs apart from municipal LEAs (e.g., familiarity with Clery Act compliance)
- Superior communication skills. This includes public speaking and presentation skills, as well as the ability to express complex concepts simply and concisely.
- Advanced problem-solving. The ability to self-manage and resolve problems on their own wherever possible.
- Ability to translate data analyses for LEAs.
- Ability to cultivate trust and strong working relationships across teams and functions.
- Strong client-facing skills. Managing client satisfaction at multiple stages in the process.
- Strong organization skills. Successfully executing projects and daily work.
- Strong coordination skills. Working both within and across teams to accomplish goals.
- Strong stakeholder management skills. Identifying key individuals with influence or interest in a given project and maintaining good relationships and communication.
- Ability to travel 30-40% of the time (COVID-19 permitting) for training, conferences, and meetings with LEAs.
- Comfort with and/or ability to learn technological systems for nonprofit management. Experience with customer relationship management systems, task management software and G-Suite preferred.
- Passionate about social justice issues and issues of race.
Application Submission Guidelines
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit the following materials: