To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
· Must be a United States Citizen.
· Must be at least 21 years of age by the closing date of the application but not yet 36 years of age when sworn as a police officer. Eligible military veterans are able to be sworn up until age 40.5.
· Must be a high school graduate, as evidenced by a transcript issued by an accredited high school. An achievement test certificate from an accredited high school or State Board of education is acceptable.
· Must possess a valid unrestricted driver’s license.
· Must be willing, if appointed, to reside within St. Joseph County or adjoining county in Indiana. ****UPDATE**** New Indiana law allows individuals to reside within 50 miles of the City. IC 36-8-4-2.
Copies of the following documents will be required. (Upon completion of the online application you may bring these documents to the SBPD training bureau or apply at the SBPD.)
· DD214 (Armed Services Discharge – if applicable).
· High school diploma or GED.
· Official and sealed high school transcripts. (When requested by training staff)
· Official and sealed college transcripts. (When requested by training staff)
· Birth certificate.
· Social Security Card.
· Valid driver’s license.
· Physical agility test. (On the testing day, bring an ID and waivers will be made available at the location. Candidates will NOT need a physicial from a physician. Additional information will be provided once the application is completed. Additional information can be found by clicking here.
· Written examination.
· Personal interview.
· Oral Interview Board.
· Background investigation.
· Polygraph/Voice Stress examination.
· MMPI and psychological examination.
· Pension (PERF) physical examination.
FACTORS THAT INCREASE EMPLOYMENT CONSIDERATION:
· Police related occupations:
Education beyond high school
· College Internships
· Volunteer community service.
· Honorably discharged war veteran.
· Mother or father who as a member of a police or fire department, died in the line of duty.
FACTORS THAT RESULT IN AUTOMATIC REJECTION
· Domestic violence conviction.
· Drug selling.
· Hard drug use in last 10 years.
· Felony conviction.
· Dishonorable discharge from the military.
· Driving while intoxicated conviction in past five years.
FACTORS THAT DECREASE EMPLOYMENT CONSIDERATION
· Involvement in criminal activity.
· Misdemeanor conviction.
· Documented evidence of domestic violence.
· Military rejection or early discharge for reason/concern.
· Marijuana use beyond experimental usage.
· Poor driving and accident record.
· Illegal acts.
· Past job problems or firings.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A POLICE OFFICER MUST
· Operate both as a member of a team and independently, at incidents of uncertain duration.
· Face exposure to infectious agents, such as hepatitis B or HIV.
· Perform complex tasks during life threatening emergencies.
· Work for long periods of time, requiring sustained physical activity and intense concentration.
· Face life or death decisions during emergency conditions.
· Tolerate exposure to grotesque sights and smells associated with major trauma.
· Make rapid transitions from rest to near maximal exertion without a warm-up period.
· Use firearms, self-defense equipment and body armor.
· Be able to physically protect herself/himself and others.
· Be able to communicate with people effectively.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to age, race, color, religion, sex, disability, veteran's status, national origin, genetic information, or sexual orientation. Reasonable accommodations will be considered in accordance with State and Federal Law.