Headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Truck Hero® provides consumers a full range of branded automotive accessories for trucks, Jeeps and cars, with market leading functionality, engineering, quality, and design.
The breadth of Truck Hero’s product offering is vast, including hard and soft truck bed covers, truck caps, bed liners, floor liners, fender flares, steps, suspension kits, Ventvisors®, Jeep parts and off-road accessories.
Truck Hero’s industry leading family of brands includes Advantage, Alloy USA, AMP Research®, A.R.E.®, Auto Ventshade®, BAK®, BACKRACK™, BedRug®, BELMOR®, Bushwacker®, Extang®, Husky Liners®, LUND®, N-FAB®, Omix™, Rampage Products®, Retrax®, RoadWorks®, Roll-N-Lock®, Rugged Liner®, Rugged Ridge®, Stampede™, Superlift®, Tonno Pro™, TruXedo®, UnderCover® and an online retailer, RealTruck®.
All of the companies in the Truck Hero family are recognized as premier brands and are leaders in innovation. For more information, please visit our website at truck-hero.com.
The Product Design Engineer will primarily be responsible product design engineering of aftermarket pick-up truck bed covers (a.k.a. Tonneau Covers) and related components for Truck Hero’s initiatives. Projects and work will include conceptual development all the way through start of production, as well as vehicle application engineering.
- Responsible for innovative design concepts and complete product engineering. Collaborate with Truck Hero’s R&D team to transfer new technology and concepts into production release and validation.
- Design in SolidWorks for the intention of and production implementation (using the DFMA toolbox skills i.e. DOE, DFMA etc.).
- Provide direction for innovative and new product design solutions to meet customer requirements.
- Develop as required by the Engineering Manager. DVP&Rs are established collaboratively with Truck Hero’s Corporate Test & Validation team to ensure best practices are followed.
- Coordinate and perform product analysis and validation test activities for existing and new products for commercial viability, durability, and functionality.
- Create product drawings and production release. Follow drawing release and engineering change notice (ECN) processes.
- Identify, analyze, and implement continuous product design improvement to reduce warranty and improve manufacturing process efficiency, safety, quality, and cost (VA/VE).
- Work with the customers both internal and external directly as the main interface for the project.
- Lead and engage in trouble shooting with the team to develop options for success during complex situations.
- Provide direction for BOM and/or dimensional changes required to fit new vehicle applications based on existing products, when necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
Education and Experience
- Minimum 4-year Bachelor of Science Engineering degree is required.
- Minimum 3+ years of hands-on, professional automotive product engineering experience working in OEM or Tier 1 body/exterior/sealing/mechanisms or equivalent is required.
Skills and Abilities
- Possess strong problem-solving skills.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Skilled in SolidWorks.
- Ability to write, speak, and comprehend English.
- Excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills with a focus on root cause analysis.
- Must be able to travel locally (Metro-Detroit) and domestically as required. Travel estimated to be roughly <5% (initially higher due to learning curve). Anticipate 1-2 weeks per year maximum.
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
- Design – Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Innovative – Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas.
- Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to other views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Technical Skills – Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
PAY and BENEFITS
- Truck Hero offers competitive pay and the opportunity for annual increases, based on job performance.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision health insurance
- A matched 401k savings program to plan and save for your retirement
- Paid vacation and time off to ensure time with your family and a work/life balance
- Educational assistance to continue college or pursue other skills and further your career
- Discounts on great Truck Hero products for you, your family, and friends
- Please take a moment to provide us your resume and/or complete our online application. You will quickly receive an acknowledgment that you applied and we will follow up with you again shortly on next steps.
- Check us out at www.truck-hero.com!
In light of the current pandemic situation, to protect all team members we also require the ability to:
- Pass daily pandemic health screening protocols which include responding to CDC recommended personal health and activity related questions.
- Follow pandemic safety protocols which may include:
- Wearing of an approved face covering at all times
- Washing hands/use of hand sanitizer upon entry to facility and as needed throughout the day
- Cleaning/disinfecting of personal work area
- Maintaining social/physical distancing requirements (six feet from others) whenever possible
- In some circumstances submitting to company paid virus testing through approved medical provider