Come join the Animal Diet Specialist team at Woodland Park Zoo! We currently have one temporary, part-time, non-benefited position available.
What you’ll do:
- Prepare animal diets based on prescribed diet sheets.
- Stock Commissary kitchen with foods needed for diet preparation.
- Clean and organize Commissary kitchen in accordance with USDA regulations and AZA accreditation standards.
- Maintain and monitor food quality and record keeping according to USDA regulations and AZA accreditation standards.
- Communicate with Commissary management regarding food order changes, stock shortages and quality concerns related to animal diet prep.
- Perform routine record-keeping and related duties such as data entry and maintenance of animal diet files.
- Creates food based enrichment per approved requests from Animal Management.
- Washes and sanitizes animal diet dishes/containers returned to the Commissary.
When we’ll need you:
- Shifts start at 7:00am and may include weekends, evenings, and/or holidays.
- This is a temporary, variable hour work week position. Your schedule will be determined by your supervisor.
Who you are and what you bring:
- You have past experience preparing animal diets.
- You are comfortable working with hay, dust, crickets, worms, fish, blood, and dead prey animals.
- You know how to work safely with knives and other kitchen appliances.
- You have a valid WA driver's license and safe driving history.
- You’re a hard worker who works well both with a team and on your own.
- You readily take direction and are comfortable performing detail oriented, repetitive tasks.
- You're able to prioritize your work and remain flexible to changing tasks.
Physical demands and work environment for this position:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
- Regularly retrieve items from walk-in coolers and walk-in freezers.
- Frequently lift or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 75 pounds.
- Considerable amount of walking and standing.
- Some stooping and crouching to access items on lower shelves.
- Regular exposure to a typical warehouse environment including fluctuating temperatures, large machinery (e.g. forklifts), and noise from trucks, forklifts, or dust blowers.
- Walk/transit across the 92 acre zoo grounds in all weather conditions.
Want to know more? Read the full job description here!
Pay: $17.97 per hour.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license with a safe driving history. A criminal background check, driving record review, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment tuberculosis test will be required of the selected applicant.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page (zoo.org/jobs) or this posting. Resume/work history is required when applying. Cover letter is optional, but preferred.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.