This position is responsible for the operation, modification, and administration of payroll and benefits, including timekeeping, labor distribution, and reporting systems. This position facilitates the proper, consistent, and accurate application of related policies. Maintain payroll records, processing, and information systems. Serve as a regular resource for zoo staff and managers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyze, prepare, and input payroll data; use automated systems to produce accurate and timely payroll.
- Responsible for the proper application of collective bargaining contract provisions and zoo, city, state, and federal policies relating to compensation administration covering a diversity of represented and non-represented employees.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate processing of payroll related timesheets through payroll and timekeeping automated systems.
- Respond to and resolve a variety of payroll problems associated with the processing and verification of transaction documents, providing quality customer service.
- Process payroll adjustment processing (including manual checks) as needed every pay period.
- Calculate, verify, and approve payment amounts for medical, dental, life insurance, LTD, section 125, and 403(b) payments, as well as L&I premiums, union fees, and other payroll benefits.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly, year-end, and ad hoc reports (e.g. gross payroll, hours worked, vacation accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions, etc.).
- Provide customer service to employees and supervisors by responding to payroll and benefits inquiries via email, phone, or in-person.
- Track new employee benefit eligibility.
- Mange benefits enrollment and changes mid-year.
- Support the Compensation & Benefits Manager on coordination of leave and benefits.
- Terminate employee coverages upon departure and enter information in the COBRA portal timely for COBRA information to be distributed.
- Work with third party tax service to ensure accurate filing of quarterly/annual tax returns.
- Assist finance department as appropriate with regard to information needed for the general ledger.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two-year degree from an accredited college in Business Administration, Payroll Administration, Accounting, or a related field and five years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven knowledge of payroll processes, laws, garnishments, and practices.
- Knowledge of payroll and labor distribution systems operations and an understanding of accounting principles and practices, including payroll auditing.
- Experience with in-house or outsourced payroll systems and relevant software, including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with payroll administration for different pay groups, including union-represented positions.
- Knowledge of personnel rules, policies, and collective bargaining contract provisions.
- Knowledge of benefit laws and practices.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written).
- Ability to work independently and with a team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) Certification.
- Ascentis HRIS suite/NOVAtime software experience.
- Multi-state processing payroll
- This position may be required to lift up to 30lbs.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to a typical office environment and/or outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. During COVID-19 and phased approached opening per King County, this position may require working remotely.
Pay: $60,000 per year, plus benefits.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page at zoo.org/jobs; no other forms of application will be accepted. Resume and Cover Letter are required.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at firstname.lastname@example.org.