Reporting to the Senior Accountant, the NorthStar Staff Accountant is primarily responsible for month-end accounting close activities (journal entries and account reconciliations), processing intercompany transactions, identifying and processing prepaid expenses, and other complex accounting transactions in the general ledger. The Staff Accountant is also responsible for performing variance analysis to identify and analyze discrepancies that may exist in the general ledger.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
The Staff Accountant performs a variety of accounting tasks, including:
- Reconciling key accounts monthly including prepaid insurance, Goodwill, other assets and liabilities, operating and SG&A expenses.
- Run daily cash reconciliation for all companies, book bank fees, track outstanding checks.
- Overseeing insurance policy and allocation across all companies.
- Managing the accounting system and maintaining data integrity between BlackLine and Sage.
- Responsible for variance analysis over assigned companies, which includes analysis over the balance sheet and income statement to identify discrepancies, making financial inquiries from site managers, and posting journal entries before the month-end close.
- Utilizes knowledge of internal controls to identify potential weaknesses in the internal control environment.
- Assists the internal and external audit by providing source documentation or other information as requested.
- Utilizes experience to drive improvements and efficiencies.
- Collaborates on cross functional projects with internal and external team members.
- Other duties and ad hoc projects as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or equivalent plus 2+ years of relevant accounting experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Public accounting experience preferred but not required
- Awareness, understanding, and adherence to internal controls
- Strong attention to detail with an emphasis on accuracy
- General understanding of US GAAP and other accounting concepts
- Strong Excel and other Microsoft Office Suite proficiency
- Ability to research and problem solve independently while utilizing strong analytical skills
- Ability to complete multiple tasks and deliver on time
- Ability to develop working relationships with co-workers and others
- Strong work commitment and ability to work under pressure
Key Qualities: The ideal candidate demonstrates collaboration skills with colleagues and customers; a strong level of commitment and personal agency to create positive outcomes; and high ethical standards.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands or arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business procedures and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers and the general public.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Computer Skills: An individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel and Word.
Work Environment: While performing the duties of the Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, high, precarious places; fumes, dirt, dust or airborne particles and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environmental is generally moderate.