Reports to: Marketing & Group Sales Manager
Revised: May 2020
Summary: This position manages all social media outreach for the Desert Museum, generates creative content for the Desert Museum blog, and assists with content creation for the website, advertisements, e-blasts, and newsletters. In addition, this position coordinates commercial on-grounds filming and photography and assists with marketing events.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities includes the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Execute a results-driven social media strategy.
- Develop and curate engaging and compelling content for all social media channels.
- Assist in the creation and editing of written, video, and photo content.
- Attend events and produce live social media content.
- Maintain unified brand voice across different social media channels.
- Create and manage the social media calendar and budget.
- Monitor social media channels for industry trends.
- Review analytics and create reports on key metrics.
Filming & Photography:
- Serve as the first point of contact for all inquiries about internal and external facility use by local, national, and international filmmakers, photographers, and videographers.
- Maintain and update filming/photography guideline documents and web page for external inquiries.
- Interface between external crews and ASDM curatorial staff to determine filming needs, timelines, etc.
- Generate filming contracts, process payments, and ensure that Certificates of Insurance are on file.
- Work cross-departmentally to develop original, creative, and mission-driven content that tells a compelling story designed to educate and enhance the visitor experience.
- Develop engaging content for the Desert Museum’s blog.
- Ensure content is fact-checked and appropriately sourced.
- Assist other departments in editing content for correct spelling and grammar.
- Assist the Marketing department with onsite events.
- Represent the Desert Museum at appropriate networking events and trade shows.
- Manage the Marketing Internship program.
- Assist the Marketing & Group Sales Manager with other ASDM special projects as assigned.
Interested applicants should apply for this position as quickly as possible to ensure a timely application. This position was opened on May 18, 2020 and is considered open until a sufficient number of applications are received. Please understand that if offered a position, you will, as a final condition of employment, be required to successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check.
Please be prepared to include the following work samples with your uploaded documents with your online application:
- Two proposed social media posts for ASDM and indicate the platform for each post.
- One writing sample.
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three years of related experience.
- Please include work samples (2 proposed social media posts for the Desert Museum, please indicate the platform for each post, and a writing sample).
- An emphasis will be placed on those who have worked in visitor-based, non-profit, conservation settings, and/or in promotion of tourism, along with a strong background in social media.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Passion for social media and proficiency with major social media platforms and social media management tools.
- Proficiency with video and photo editing tools.
- Must be goal oriented and possess a high degree of self-motivation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including influencing skills.
- Must possess strong planning and organization skills.
- Impeccable time management skills with the ability to multitask.
- Flexible work style adapting to changing demands and priorities.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Ability to work well with internal and external clients.
- Understanding/familiarity with non-profit, visitor-based organization.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have solid working knowledge with Microsoft Office Suite, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Use of Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Elements, Constant Contact, and Survey Monkey a plus.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employees work might take them outdoors in both warm and cool weather. The noise level in the work environment is usually very quiet.
The above description reflects a general overview of the responsibilities, reporting relationships and position requirements for this job classification. It is not intended to be a complete description of all duties and requirements that may be inherent in the position.