Come join our Facilities team as a Maintenance Laborer at the Woodland Park Zoo! There is one, regular, full-time, benefited position available.
This position leads and/or performs semi-skilled and/or skilled work maintaining and performing minor repairs on facilities and turf.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Mows, edges, and maintains lawns using riding lawn mowers, assigned tractors, edgers, and sweepers.
- Assists a variety of skilled-trade personnel in coordinating and performing skilled work; will also assist in the maintenance, repair and construction of buildings and other facilities, and in preparing walks and streets for asphalt and concrete paving operations.
- May oversee the work of subordinate employees by planning, training, assisting, monitoring and evaluating the work.
- May plan or assist in planning for materials, equipment, and staffing required for work assignments or areas.
- May lead and/or perform office relocations and delivery, storage and disposition of materials, forms, furniture and equipment. Performs other building services work including motor-pool operations, and event set-ups, change-overs and support.
- Provides regular and ongoing care, preparation, and maintenance for medium- to large-sized parks (over 20 acres) containing several distinct outdoor recreational features (i.e. ball fields, fountains, picnic grounds, play areas, wading pools, etc.).
- Aides and participates in the opening, backfilling, and shoring of trenches and other excavations.
- Assists with the preventative maintenance and repair of roofs and drainage systems.
- Maintains and performs minor repairs to wooden and metal playground equipment, picnic tables, bleachers, and other outdoor recreation facilities.
- Maintains routine records and reports.
- Drives pickup trucks and other vehicles or equipment in connection with work activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision as well as to work and collaborate as a team member.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, and may include evenings and holidays.
- Commitment to the mission of the zoo and the institutions’ Core Values.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid US driver's license required
- Commercial driver’s license is preferred
- Other pertinent licenses may be required
Want to know more? Read the full job description here!
Pay: $24.08 per hour, plus benefits.
Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid WA driver's license (or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire). A criminal background check, driving record review, pre-employment physical, and pre-employment TB test will be required of the selected applicant.
Application Directions: Applications are accepted online through our Jobs Page (zoo.org/jobs). Resume is required, cover letter is strongly recommended.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Woodland Park Zoo is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in application and employment for any reason, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, age, disability or medical status including genetic information, and/or veteran’s status.
Woodland Park Zoo is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in all of its services. If you need accommodation in the application or interview process, please contact our recruiting team at email@example.com.