Bolton & Menk is now accepting applications for a Civil/Municipal Design Engineer out of our Des Moines, IA location.
As a Municipal Design Engineer you will learn practical on-the-job experience serving our municipalities throughout central Iowa. The majority of your time will be spent assisting project managers and project engineers in design and construction phase activities on municipal projects. You will perform basic design computations, preliminary layout and design, research and prepare rough drafts of preliminary reports and feasibility studies. In addition, you will assist with project design and preparation of plans and specifications, prepare cost and quantity take-off estimates, travel to work sites and other project locations, and perform detailed observation and project documentation. Construction observation activities may include performing construction staking, performing construction administration duties such as documenting activities, measuring and testing, providing general oversight, and interacting with contractors, sub-contractors, residents and City staff.
Our Ideal Candidate:
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited post-secondary institution and have successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (Engineer Intern) exam. Other requirements include:
- Engineer-In-Training Certification (or ability to receive in 12 months)
- Minimum three (3) months of experience in either infrastructure design and/or construction observation.
- Must be capable of working in extended outdoor conditions and you must be physically capable of navigating rugged terrain for the purpose of performing the construction observation duties outlined above.
- Must have academic experience or on the job experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D.
- Must possess basic MS Office skills including Word and Excel.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and your own transportation. You will be reimbursed for business-related travel.
- Ability to actively listen to others for understanding of their needs and situations; ability to read, speak and write English clearly is required. This position interacts with City staff, City residents, contractors and sub-contractors.
- One (1) - Two (2) years of engineering design experience on plans and specifications for municipal infrastructure projects (internships included)
- Experience performing construction observation on municipal infrastructure projects
- DOT Certifications in Aggregate Production, Grading and Base, Bituminous Street and Concrete Field, or equivalent.
WHY BOLTON & MENK?
Work with a creative and hardworking team, who believe in client satisfaction and building relationships. For almost 70 years Bolton & Menk, Inc. has served public and private clients in the Upper Midwest with comprehensive planning, design and construction engineering and surveying services. The employees at Bolton & Menk are seeking hard working and ambitious co-workers to join us to deliver tomorrow’s leading infrastructure projects. Bolton & Menk is employee-owned, is ranked among ENR’s Top 500 Design Firms and is a Top 150 Workplace in Minnesota. With over 400 employees and 18 offices in Minnesota, Iowa and North Dakota there are always new challenges and career development opportunities available.
At Bolton & Menk, we value our people and provide an exceptional Total Compensation and Benefits Package to protect our most valuable asset. We are committed to the well-being of our employees and their families. Perks of being a Bolton & Menk employee include peace of mind with our benefits package and competitive compensation plan, flexible schedules and career development opportunities. Learn more here: https://www.bolton-menk.com/our-benefits
We're Social! Connect with us on Twitter @BoltonandMenk or Facebook BoltonandMenk
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please no walk ins, applicants must apply online.
Bolton & Menk, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.