Accept applications and determine initial and on-going eligibility for the following programs: Old Age Pension, Aid to the Needy Disabled, TANF, Family Medicaid, Food Stamps, LEAP and/or Child Care. Explain and clarify state rules and regulations and the client’s responsibility. Perform case management after approval of eligibility and to prevent program abuse. Specialist acts as Lead Worker.
- Modern office processes and procedures.
- Keyboarding, data entry and word processing skills.
- Grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Basic arithmetic functions (add, subtract, multiply and divide).
- Basic software applications.
- Speak, read and write the English language.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Learn and apply relevant Federal, state and local laws, rules, regulations, codes and/or statutes.
- Understand and follow written and verbal directions.
- Be sensitive to individual values and needs.
- Prioritize and organize.
- Work with a variety of people, including the disabled and those who can be hostile.
- Establish effective working relationships with coworkers and supervisors, other Departments/Offices, and other agencies.
- Understand and practice safety procedures and precautions.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism and confidentiality.
Internal & External Contacts:
Frequently interacts with other Department staff.
Frequently interacts with the general public and various agencies.
Physical Activities and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Required Physical Activities:
While performing the essential functions of this job the employee is frequently required to reach, grasp, finger, stand and/or sit for long periods of time, walk, talk and hear; occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet, with frequent interruptions and multiple demands.
The employee is occasionally required to travel to various locations in the County; occasionally required to travel between County offices and to trainings or meetings within the state.
Computers and Office Equipment:
Computer and relevant software applications; 10-key calculator; telephone system; postage machine; facsimile; copier; shredder; scanner.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT. Nothing in this job description restricts Garfield County’s ability to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities of this job at any time. It does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job description describes the County’s current assignment of essential functions. Those functions may change at any time as the needs of the County change or for other reasons deemed appropriate by the County.