Facility Supervisor - University Union
Definition and Purpose
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director – University Union the Facility Supervisor is responsible for the safe and smooth operation of the facilities and programs. The Facility Supervisor has the responsibility of ensuring that ASI facilities are professional and safe in operation. The Facility Supervisor is the first responder for injuries, the leader in case of an emergency, and provides on-site supervision of student staff. In the absence of full-time staff, the Facility Supervisor has managerial responsibility and general oversight of ASI programs in the University Union. The Facility Supervisor is expected to practice sound judgment, and make good decisions in representing ASI.
ASI is committed to supporting the aspirations of the University Learning Objectives. Our employees are expected to make reasoned decisions based on ethics, respect for diversity, and an awareness of issues of sustainability. Additionally, they will work productively as individuals and in groups while communicating effectively.
Educational Requirements and Qualifying Experience
- Must be a currently enrolled student at Cal Poly with a minimum of 6 units. All ASI student staff must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at Cal Poly. Graduate students must carry 4 units/3.0 cumulative GPA at Cal Poly.
- Previous supervisory experience
- Previous facility security experience
- Ability to be highly organized and have good planning skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Maintain First Aid, CPR and AED Certification
- Must hold a CA Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to ASI’s insurance underwriters
- Ability to work with diverse populations and those with special limitations or needs
- Experience with program participation preferred
- Experience with administration, supervision, advising or public relations
- General knowledge of program services
- Experience in leadership or management
- Organizational abilities and experience
- Program specific experience preferred
- During major emergencies, direct the evacuation of the facility
- In the event of emergency, provide a calm but focused leadership role to provide participants and staff members with confidence that an emergency will be handled with efficiency, and professionalism
- Serve as the first responder in first aid situations. Exhibit a high confidence level with first-aid, and the comfort level to deal with minor injuries, as well as life threatening situations
- Provide effective legal documentation of all injuries, and incidents at ASI facilities
- Contact University Police when necessary due to problems that cannot be resolved with on-site personnel
- Have a trained eye for safety issues or concerns. Resolve and report safety related issues
- Supervise ASI programs and events to ensure the safety of staff and participants
- Provide general oversight of student staff
- Provide management authority and student staff supervision in the absence of full-time staff members
- Ability to enforce staff expectations, and recommend appropriate disciplinary actions as needed
- Supervise program participants’ behavior, and appropriately intervene when needed
- Maintain a positive relationship with staff and co-workers
- Awareness of and appreciation for individual uniqueness and diversity
- Adhere to and enforce all ASI departmental policies and procedures
- Commitment to student development and leadership
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide daily operations for the facility. Know the unique policies and procedures that govern the facility
- Ability to provide positive customer service.
- Educate participants and staff on all policies and procedures. Have the ability to explain policy, and the theory that supports policies
- Open, close, and secure facilities at prescribed times and inspect facility for safety and maintenance concerns.
- Provide breaks for student staff members, serve as a backup for staff members who cannot attend work, and use the phone lists to cover for no-show employees
- Compile daily user statistics, facility reports, and document all injuries and incidents
- Communicate with Facilities staff for maintenance and custodial concerns
- Monitor event use. Understand crowd control, and have the ability to recognize potential event problems before they occur
- Make regular rounds in supervising ASI’s facilities to ensure that activities are being conducted safely and appropriately
- Set up tables and chairs in a timely manner for events. Check the set-up of rooms, to confirm the appropriate layout prior to each reservation
- Assist in the set-up and take down of special equipment (e.g. audio visual equipment, etc.)
- Provide inventory control for the storage rooms
- Act as an ASI representative at all times with an extensive knowledge of ASI and University programs, facilities and services
- Assist in keeping facility clean and safe
- Assist other ASI staff areas with the preparation and operation of their program area as needed
- Provide a welcoming and inclusive environment for all staff and participants
- Provide quality customer service for all staff and customers
- Attend at least two hours of safety and evacuation training per quarter
- Shadow two opening shifts, two closing shifts, and two mid-day shifts in the facility prior to becoming a staff member who is entrusted with a regular shift alone
- Strong conflict management and problem solving skills
- Ability to receive constructive criticism, and learn from incidents to ensure continual development
- Attend all mandatory meetings, trainings and workshops.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in ASI policy as a condition of their employment.
- Other duties as assigned.
Period of Employment
Employment with this organization is of an "at will" nature, which means that the employee may resign at any time and ASI may discharge the employee at any time with or without cause.
Compensation and Hours
Pay Rate: $13.50 per hour; maximum 20 hours per week. Early morning, night, and weekend hours required. Facility Supervisor Special Events $14.50 per hour.
The Associated Students, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Date revised: 1/1/2020
This position may require standing, walking, bending over, lifting or carrying up to 50 pounds, and repetitive use of legs. Environmental factors include working inside, outside, working with others, and working around others.